File corruption after exporting to wave files?

Hello everyone,
I’m running Audacity v. 2.3.0 on a Windows 10 machine. I made a backup copy of an Audacity .aup file (but not the data file) after exporting the project to a wave file on one of my hard drives and onto a flash drive. I then attempted to return to the Audacity .auf file (both original and the duplicate), to perform a little more editing, and received the errors/warnings below. Somehow my actions seem to have corrupted the .aup files. Fortunately there is still the intact wave file but the .aup is still needed. Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. The error log and warning are also attached to this post. Apologies in advance if this topic was already covered. Thanks very much.
AudacityWarning.PNG
audacity log.PNG
.

I made a backup copy of an Audacity .aup file

How did you do that? One of the earlier versions (before 2.3.2) had problems with Save As:.

You can’t (easily) change the name of a project (or any of its parts) outside of Audacity.

Fortunately there is still the intact wave file

Which is why we strongly recommend making WAV files of important work.

You have a badly damaged _DATA folder and Audacity didn’t volunteer to try to save it. That’s pretty final.

Why did you want to go back to the Project? Multi-track? Audacity Projects do not save UNDO, so you can’t revert to an earlier version or edit.

This is an Audacity Project.

The AUP file is a list of instructions of what Audcacity should do with all that stuff in the _DATA folder. It’s a text file, not music. The _DATA folder has all the music in little 6-second chunks. Yours is missing a bunch of chunks.

The project may have been broken before you tried to duplicate the files. Simple duplication or copy doesn’t create that kind of damage. If you have to do that again, one method is make a ZIP of both file and folder and save the ZIP somewhere safe.

That won’t save you if you made a damaged Project in the first place, but that works with a healthy project.

Koz

Thanks much, Koz, for the reply. In the Audacity project, I believe I took the .auf file and “saved it as” a file outside Audacity in a C:\ directory folder for the project. I did not also copy the data files! Then I think I copied that .auf file and pasted it as a “copy” to the same directory (which changed its name). I noticed, incidentally, that my attempt to also “save it as” a file on a directory in a flash drive was not successful. I had wanted to return to the project to tighten it up a little more. It was narration, not music. After doing all this saving, it was at the point of trying to reopen the Audacity file that the warnings appeared. It sounds like you are suggesting making the zip file of the work, which I will do, going forward, and of course export to a wave. I’m running 2.3.0 which you say may be among the versions with “save as” problems. Notwithstanding the fact that out of ignorance I did not also copy and save the data files, do you think I should download a later Audacity version which does not have “save as” issues? I appreciated this advice – thanks again.

That was version 2.1.3

You’ve not got the version with the “SaveAs” problem, but you do have an out of date version, so I recommend updating.
The current version is 2.3.2 and is available via the Audacity website: Audacity ® | Download for Windows

I would recommend saving to your hard drive rather than a flash drive. If you wish to keep a backup copy of the project on a flash drive, then try using the option “Save Lossless Copy of Project” (File Menu: Save Project - Audacity Manual).

When working on a project from a flash drive, it is recommended to copy the project to your hard drive first, then work on that copy. The reason being that for saved projects, Audacity uses the project folder for its temporary data files. Flash drives may not always be “ready” for read / write operations, which can cause the project to fail. Flash drives usually also have quite limited capacity, so there is also a risk of running out of disk space while working on a project.

I thought it was 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 - but anyway, it’s certainly fixed now in 2.3.2

Peter

Ah yes, those too. I was thinking bug 1594, but as you say, all fixed and thoroughly tested in 2.3.2.

Thanks all.