Failed to open database file

Hello, I am using macOS Bug Sur 11.6 and Audacity 3.1.

Audacity crashed while I was working on a project today. I am unable to reopen my file and receive an error message whenever I try to do so.

Below is the error log I am receiving:

{
“timestamp”: 1635611831,
“event_id”: “c6fcb516cf4a48bebdaf8286cd01d4bc”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.0”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Macintosh”,
“version”: “10.16.0”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “Error_Opening_Project”,
“value”: “Failed to open database file:\n\n/Halloween Bracket 2021 Seperate ”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “DBConnection::ModeConfig”,
“sqlite3.mode”: “PRAGMA .page_size = 65536;VACUUM;”,
“log”: “11:37:11: DBConnection SetDBError\n\tErrorCode: 11\n\tLastError: Failed to set page size for database /Halloween Bracket 2021 Seperate \n\tLibraryError: database disk image is malformed\n11:37:11: DBConnection SetError\n\tErrorCode: 11\n\tLastError: Failed to open database file:\n\n/Halloween Bracket 2021 Seperate \n\tLibraryError: (11): database disk image is malformed\n”
}
}
}
]
}
}

Is there any way to recover even partially some of the work I lost?

Possibly not. Sqlite3 Result Code = 11 indicates a corrupt file. You project may be unrecoverably damaged.

If you care to zip up your file and upload it to a file sharing service, then post (or PM me) a link, I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks for offering to take a look - here is a link to the file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rm2gfboN_CDUP_hkikkAbLpBvOCVFrcd/view?usp=sharing

[/quote]

Possibly not. Sqlite3 Result Code = 11 indicates a corrupt file. You project may be unrecoverably damaged.

If you care to zip up your file and upload it to a file sharing service, then post (or PM me) a link, I’ll take a look at it.
[/quote]

Thanks for offering to take a look - here is a link to the file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rm2gfb … sp=sharing

I am able to confirm the error:
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “DBConnection::ModeConfig”,
on your Halloween file.

As I mentioned before, this error indicates that your project database is corrupt.

So far, I have tried the usual suspects and have been unsuccessful with any of my tools. :wink:

Right now, I am scrubbing your project file to collect any data that looks like audio information. And I will forward to you the results.

If this is successful, it produces one continuous audio track, with all audio combined, possibly including some previously deleted audio. If your original audio was mono, this might be helpful. If it was stereo or multi-track the results could be confusing. In any case, my computer is quite busy with some other projects, so this may not happen until tomorrow.

UPDATE: Your file is being uploaded now, but it will be overnight before this is completed.

Thanks I appreciate the help! I’ll a look at what you are able to send my way. It doesn’t work out, I have the original recordings so I can restart. Thanks again!

I have the original recordings so I can restart.

We urge very strongly that producers export protection WAV files of all original recordings in case of edit problems or show damage. How do you do it?

Koz

I use audacity to record and edit a podcast that I co-host. Before I start editing I always save myself and my co-host’s individual wav files just in case there is a crash and the editing is lost.

Upload finished. I sent you the link via PM.

Hi Jademan, I just lost my best take of two piano pieces - seems as if the file is corrupted - also a “sqlite3.rc”: “11”, error. Is there any chance that you might be able to retrieve the audio files for me? I’d be sooo grateful! Warm wishes, Sam

Well, if we don’t look, we won’t find anything. :wink: Post or PM me the link.

Dear Jademann,

Thanks so much! Here they are - can also send via WeTransfer if easier?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jahq7zf8uma9jno/AAD1k6_Ukj7Sq0o-VVadkMD6a?dl=0

With warm wishes, Sam

I’ve PM’d you the link to the extracted data files. I’m afraid that is all I can do at this time.

Thanks Jademan. I opened them in Audacity and there was no sign of the audio. I guess it’s gone forever. Really appreciate you trying. All the best, Sam

It’s there, you just have to amplify it.

Hi Jademan,

Thanks, but all I see is this (attached screenshot). Doesn’t change anything if I amplify. Many I am doing something wrong?

Warm wishes, Sam
Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 09.45.11.png

I was wrong - you are correct - amplify does nothing. And yet I can distinctly hear an underlying piano recording. When I zoomed in to near sample level I saw this:

and this:

which as it turns out, sounds like a piano on my computer.

This could happen if the data was interpreted incorrectly. I had tried different data formats earlier, but I’ll try to revisit if I have time later today. Perhaps there is someone else out there who would like to take a stab at this?

Hi Jademan,

I’d be sooo grateful if you could. I was hoping include the tracks on a recording I wanted to be available after a piano recital in Prague on Saturday. Could I possibly offer you (or anyone else) $50 for the two undamaged stereo WAV files? Warm wishes, Sam

Sorry, I’ve tried my tricks; :frowning: perhaps someone else has some ideas… :smiley: