Exported mp3s stop playing at 00:07:58 on iTunes

I’m using Audacity 2.1.0 on Windows 10, and every time I export a recording to mp3, if I try to play that mp3 on iTunes or any Apple device, the track stops playing at exactly 7 minutes and 58 seconds in (at 00:07:58) and skips to the next track. This happens for any track that is longer than 00:07:58, regardless of the final length.

If I manually skip forward past that timestamp, then the file does keep playing and doesn’t usually experience any more problems. The problem also seems to be unique to iTunes and Apple devices - the tracks play just fine on other audio players on my computer, though I have not tried any other external mp3 players.

Any advice on how to fix this during export would be appreciated!

That’s weird, but what MP3 settings are you using? Are you using VBR?

Did you download and install LAME from the link on [u]this page[/u]?

There can be problems with the VBR header that can confuse some MP3 players, but I thought those problems were fixed long ago and they should only be happening with an older version of LAME.

There are a couple of tools that can analyze and fix problems with MP3s -
[u]MP3Diags[/u]
[u]VBRfix[/u]

Or if you are using VBR (variable bit rate), try CBR (constant bit rate).

Or, export to WAV (or FLAC) and then try using a 3rd-party MP3 encoder (or iTunes) to convert to MP3. (I use [u]TAudioConverter[/u] for all kinds of conversions.)

Also, see if these two posts help: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/itunes-audio-clips-truncated/42885/2

Gale