I’m hoping to revive this discussion.
What makes this all very difficult for me is I have over 8,000 mp3s and the majority of them was made to the 128 CBR as mentioned. Otherwise I would just turn down the treble and be happy.
I made a thread about this 2 years ago. But I got busy and was unable to follow through with all the necessary tests. What I ended up doing is just giving up on it. But now it’s become more necessary that I figure out what is causing this.
My old thread is here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/constant-bit-rate-export-problem/43636/6
Way back when I started playing around with mp3 files, I noticed that as I lowered the constant bit rate this would happen. 1) The Highs would become a little slurred but the bass for the most part would remain the same or sound lower as the extreme highs would get removed. (That’s the best way I know how to describe it)
I’ve always chosen my CBR by determining how much quality per how much disk space / how easy is it for the mp3 player to load up the file.
I’ve always liked 128 CBR with Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz.
What I always did is buy the highest quality mp3s from Amazon and then use Audacity to export them to 128 CBR. I’m fully aware that this reduces quality. But on the equipment I run these mp3s on, I never noticed enough of a difference to bother my ears.
Today I worked with the following songs from Chatterbox on Windows 7
01 - Torque.mp3 02 - Empty.mp3 03 - Fallen.mp3 04 - Spine.mp3 05 - Internal.mp3 06 - Soul Scum.mp3 07 - Divide.mp3 08 - External.mp3 09 - Epignosis.mp3 10 - Sunshine.mp3
Yesterday I worked with the same songs on Linux Mint 18.3, using the same version of Audacity. The music hurts my ears. When I down grade these files, the sound becomes higher. (The Bass, The Mids, and The Highs don’t stay like the original) The highs become a little higher, or some of the bass is lost. I’m not entirely sure which is happening… The problem with my hearing is that I’m more sensitive to highs then I am to lows.
I’m using a Sandisk Sansa Clip + running the Rockbox firmware. I reset all the settings back to default. So that the EQs were for sure set to flat. I’m using the Koss UR40 head phones, which is my favorite head phone model that I’ve used since the early 2000’s I also ran this same test in my car, and my car stereo gives me the same effect on my hearing. In fact in my car I needed to lower the treble by a lot to get it to sound like something I would call “normal”. What is really odd is I have trouble telling the difference in sound quality on the computers using the same head phones I use with my mp3 player. But I don’t think that is saying anything. Often times computers have access to better codecs. Where as your mp3 players, you are pretty much stuck with whatever happens to be in the firmware.
In my last thread I was asked about the lame versions.
Linux Mint 18.3
Version 3.99.5+repack1-9build1 (xenial) Ubuntu Developers <firstname.lastname@example.org> Depends: libc6 Depends: libmp3lame0 Depends: libsndfile1 Depends: libtinfo5
I'm running Lame 3.99.3 I do not have FFmpeg installed
Linux Mint I do have FFmpeg installed
- Things are a little more complex then what I wrote here. I’ve experimented with WinFF on Linux Mint 18.3 which gave me 160 CBR out of the box. And they were really high. I’ve also been experimenting with 192 CBR in Audacity. But it always seems like what I get on Linux Mint 18.3 is a little higher sound frequency then what I get on Windows 7.