Export label with unicode create duplicate labels


I’m using Audacity 2.0.3 in my MacbookPro. I’m trying to add some label which is in English as well as Bangla (in unicode format). It looks ok in editor but when I export to text file I can see Bangla text is replaced by English text. Is it known bug or I’m can fix it by config change?


Exported labels:

0.000000 14.941428 segment-Bangi News
0.000000 14.941428 segment-Bangi News


Thanks for the report.

There does not seem to be a problem on Windows using a similar track layout to you and Bengali (Bangladesh) keyboard input language.

  • Exactly what language is top of the list in Mac System Preferences?
  • Exactly how are you inputting Bangladeshi characters into the label?


Thanks Gale for your reply. In my macbook English is the top language (although I swap with Bangla but same result). And I’m using google online input tool for bangla typing (http://www.google.com/intl/bn/inputtools/cloud/try/), I also tried with just copy/paste some text from Bangla newspaper but same result.

Please let me know if you need more details that will help to pin point exact problem.

Mohammad Haque

I confirm it’s a problem on Mac copy-pasting from http://www.google.com/intl/bn/inputtools/cloud/try/ or using Bangla-QWERTY input language. If the only language used in the labels is Bangla then labels.txt has no contents.

However the labels seem to reopen correctly if you save as an Audacity project (AUP) - does that help?

Has this ever worked in label export in previous 1.3.x or 2.0.x Audacity, or have you not used other versions before?


Hi Gale,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it reopens correctly as a project. But I need to export to a text file which I use to render data in a different application. I did not use other previous versions.

Do you think it is fixable any time sooner in the future?


You could open the AUP file in Textedit then copy the label tags that look something like this:

<label t="3.97058800" t1="4.97058800" title="্গহ্যযয"/>
<label t="9.06862700" t1="11.06862700" title="পপিীূ"/>

then in the label.txt file, paste in what you copied, then delete everything except the “t”, “t1” and “title” values that are inside the quotes:


then press TAB on your keyboard between the values in each line:

3.97058800	4.97058800	গহ্যযয
9.06862700	11.06862700	পপিীূ

This should then in theory re-import correctly in Audacity as a label file.

But at the moment I can do what I could not do before in Audacity - copy-paste from http://www.google.com/intl/bn/inputtools/cloud/try/ in labels, or change to a Bangla input language and type in a label, then export the labels correctly. :confused:

And at the moment the crashes importing files I told you about by e-mail when Bangla is top of the list in System “Language & Text” Preferences have stopped.

So perhaps this Unicode label export problem is random, like the import crashes that are triggered on Mac by some kind of action involving Unicode are random.

If you have the patience to test, you could try making sure Bangla is top of the list in System Language & Text Preferences. Also make sure in the System Keyboard Preferences > Input Sources… button that a Bangla choice is checked. Then reboot.

If you still have the same problem after reboot (or the problem comes back after a time), try 1.3.7 as a second Audacity version http://audacity.googlecode.com/files/audacity-macosx-ub-1.3.7.zip . Another Mac user I have been communicating with (who I think uses English language) does not have the Audacity audio import crashes in that version.