Evening out the volume on a playlist

I mistakenly clicked on Time Shift and now cannot ‘unclick’ it. How do I do that? I looked in the manual, but it doesn’t seem to address that issue.
Thanks,
Bob

Incidentally, I resolved this by rebooting the program.

Bob

I just scrolled down to Track 15 in Metadata. By the time I reached number 15, three tracks had ‘dropped out’. I haven’t gone on to number 70, but at this rate, if I had I am sure there would be many more missing. As I said in the last post, all these tracks are numbered sequentially, starting at 201 and ending at 270.

I’ve been wrestling with these missing files for three hours. The project is finished and awaiting Export, but until I can figure out this glitch I am stuck.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Bob

Time Shift and the other tools in Tools Toolbar are not a toggle. Once clicked, they are “on” until you click the button for another tool. So, click the I-Beam button to go back to Selection Tool.

I will try to make this clearer for the Manual for the next release.

Yes, restarting Audacity will revert to Selection Tool, unless you chose the last button (Multi-Tool) which remains selected after restart.

Gale

I understood you to mean that you have 70 Audacity tracks stacked on top of each other. If so, choose to Split files based on tracks.

If you have any tracks with the Mute button down, they won’t be processed for export.

Gale

I understood you to mean that you have 70 Audacity tracks stacked on top of each other. If so, choose to Split files based on tracks.

If you have any tracks with the Mute button down, they won’t be processed for export.

I am unsure of what you mean here Gale. I see in the Edit menu, under Clip Boundaries, there are two differing Split commands. Is it one of these I am to use? I tried using Split, but it made no difference. Is it possible that during my editing, with the tracks stacked on top of each other (even in the Align Tracks mode), two tracks are ever so slightly NOT separated? Is this why you are suggesting Split?
None of the tracks have the Mute button down.

Thanks for your help - it is very much appreciated.

Bob

One more question: How does one switch on the Solo button for all 70 tracks at once? Or do I have to do each one separately? I tried Select all and then Shift-S but nothing happened.

Bob

Sorry, that means choose “Split files based on tracks” in Export Multiple.

I thought you might have a label track. If so, and you export multiple by labels, you won’t be offered exports for the 70 tracks you have stacked on top of each other.

SHIFT + S only solos or unsolos the single track that has the yellow focus border.

There is no point soloing all the tracks because that is the same as having no Mute or Solo buttons down on any of them. If you want to unmute all tracks, it’s in the Tracks Menu (CTRL + SHIFT + U).

Gale

Sorry, that means choose that option in Export Multiple.

I have been using the Export Multiple command. I have my 70 tracks in sequence, all numbered appropriately. Yet when I go to Export Multiple, it leaves some behind.

There is no point soloing all the tracks because that is the same as having no Mute or Solo buttons down on any of them.

Well, there is a point because i am going through each track, listening to the last ten seconds and the first ten seconds of each one to check on sound levels. Having all the solo buttons ‘on’ smoothes out the process.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

Bob

It should not do that if you are choosing “Split files based on tracks” and if no tracks are muted.

I suggest you File > Save Project… and attach your AUP file. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Having all Solo buttons on is still the same as having no Solo buttons on and no Mute buttons on.

If you have not already done so, you could open Edit > Preferences…, Tracks section, and set the Solo Button behaviour to “Simple”. Then only one action is needed to solo any one track - click Solo on that track.

Gale

Thanks Gale … you have been very helpful. There is a lot to learn!

Bob

Thanks to Gale and Steve, I have finished my project. I took up Steve’s suggestion regarding downloading the plug-in Replay Gain and found it very useful. Thanks Steve.

Now i wish to export the improved playlist both to my desktop, and to Dropbox. The people who will be accessing the project via Dropbox will be using iTunes. I made the original playlist in iTunes and imported it into Audacity. While in Audacity the files were Normalized, underwent Reply Gain and a small amount of editing. My concern is if I export them back to my iTunes, they will become muddle up with the original files, and all my work will be in vain. I did already export the tunes as AIFFs, and ended up with an .aup file, and a data file which wouldn’t upload to Dropbox. As my potential recipients don’t have Audacity I need to upload the file in iTunes, or something that will work on iTunes.

Would you please be so kind as to advise me on the correct steps to take?

Sorry to be a pest … a lot to learn!

Thanks,

bob

So I took a chance on importing the playlist into iTunes, figuring even if it got muddle up, I would still have my original Audacity file on my desktop. In iTunes I selected under File, Add to Library and clicked upon the appropriate Audacity .aup file, and then on Open. Tried it several times but it doesn’t show up in iTunes.

Bob

I am uploading to Dropbox AIFF files - hopefully successfully! So please ignore the last two posts.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Only Audacity can read AUP files, Bob, and only if the _data folder for the project is sitting alongside the AUP.

Gale

Gotcha! Thanks Gale. One more question: when I enter details in Metadata, how can I go back to the previous entry? I can’t see an arrow. I inadvertently skipped one track and couldn’t figure out how to get to it, other than cancel and start all over again. As the track concerned was number 70 in a total of 71, I didn’t want to do that.

Bob

There is no navigation back or forwards in Metadata Editor I am afraid. I suggested it myself a while ago.

I would suggest completing the Export Multiple as it is then export the track with missing metadata again. You can do that by clicking either side of the downwards-pointing arrow at the bottom of the track, then File > Export Selected Audio… .

Gale