Ok, so this is a very very serious issue for me and I hope that someone has some advice they can shed. I am a music journalist who uses audacity to record interviews for latter transcription. After finishing up my first project of the day, I clicked the save as tab and named the .aup. Immediately after clicking “ok” audacity froze up. This has happened once of twice before and I was comforted by the knowledge that audacity keeps autosaves just incase of issues like this.
I closed down the program re-opened and saw that I could recover the file, I hit recover and was greeted by an error that I do not seem to have any way of fixing or even researching for that matter.
“Error: reference to invalid character number at line 3”
I have gone through the troubleshooting steps that I can find online and have looked in the “Temp” folder of audacity under the normal appdata/temp directory, and there are no file folders with data at all. I then went to appdata/roaming/temp and found the autosave file.
The problem that I am having is that I cannot seem to decipher what the code means and where if there is at all any of the data is stored.
Conventional trouble shooting does not work here as I said, there is no numbered backup files at all, and all that can be found is the autosave file, which is not an .aup.
I am assuming that this is not recoverable, but I hope that someone can still shed some light on why this happened in the first place and what we can do in the future.