error opening sound device [SOLVED]

Thanks, pointing to the pink port, I got a little action on Audacity. It had been in the blue port. I could not play my normal music with Windows Media Player with the pink port and pluged it in to the middle port (green) which now allows me to use Windows Media Player. I also get Audacity to progress across but in a straight line no ups and downs with my voice.
I now feel it should make it easier for you to give me direction now that Audacity seems active.
Yes there is an on & off volume switch on the controlling mike.
Thanks
again

Both the blue and pink ports are meant for sound input into your PC.
Your mic jack should be plugged into the pink port. The pink port is meant exactly for such an input.
The blue port is meant for line-level input from a cassette deck for example.
The green port is meant for sound output to the external speakers.

Both the blue and pink ports are meant for sound input into your PC.

Unless they’re not. We got a series of soundcards at work that didn’t conform to the colour standard. They drove everybody nuts until we figured out the colour conversion.

Also I have a fancy surround soundcard in a PC that has many connections and its own colour scheme.

Koz

The ports actual function is usually etched into the metal plate at the back of the motherboard.

I plugged my Speakers back into the pink port. Audacity moves but just a straight line with no effect from my voice. I don’t have the error show as before. My speaker icon on the taskbar shows a red X beside it. My Media Player now will not play my music.
Where do i go from here??

Whichever way you achieve this, you must reach a stage where Windows tells you that your microphone is plugged in. Unless you have good reason to distrust the color code, your mic should be plugged into the pink port, and your speakers into the green port.

Please have a look at the following page:

How to Connect Speakers and Microphones to a Computer

Here are excerpts from that page:

The pink jack is where you plug in the microphone. The lime green jack is where you plug in the speakers. With good lighting you can see a small etching of a microphone next to the microphone jack. Next to the speaker jack is a small etching representing a source of sound.

On this older computer the audio jacks are not color-coded. You can tell which jack is for connecting the microphone by looking at the small etching of a microphone next to it. But the etchings of the other two are so similar, how do you tell which is for connecting the speakers? The jack next to the microphone jack in this example is actually for use as another form of input. If it were color-coded, it would be light blue. This is for inputting a signal into the computer from an external amplifier. (Don’t try to use this without making sure you have the proper voltage level from the amplifier.) It wouldn’t work as a speaker output. Rather, the jack farthest from the microphone jack in this example would correspond to the lime green speaker output. Without recognizing the very minor differences in the etched symbols, the only way you could know this for sure would be to consult your computer user manual.

In addition to placing the audio jacks on the back panel, some computers position a set of audio jacks on the front or on the top of the computer cabinet as an added convenience. Notebook style computers will likely have the audio jacks located along the side, as shown in this example.
Image of Audio Jacks on a Notebook Computer In this case the microphone jack is color-coded bright red instead of pink. The speaker jack is bright green. Don’t let the earphone symbol confuse you: you can plug either earphones or a speaker into this jack.

By the way, what is your PC’s make and model? What is your motherboard’s make and model?

Koz

Audacity Management,

It worked!!! and now comes my apology== I was at fault and I am sorry to have put you through all of that searching to help me. I have had this Desktop for awhile and had never connected the microphone from the previous PC and therefore forgot I had it. :smiley: :smiley: