Error Opening Project

I’ve spent a couple hours working on my arrangement of this song, the Main Theme from Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I started the project a few days ago and it corrupted. I decided to restart the project from scratch, and this morning, I found out that this one corrupted too. I’ve done three projects in Audacity before, some larger than this, but only now it decides to corrupt. I am using the latest version on Windows 10, but the project was started on one version before. I updated it today to see if it’d fix the error. I would be fine restarting my work, but this is the second time it’s happened, and I’m not ready for it to corrupt a third time.

“timestamp”: 1641140037,
“event_id”: “f62b64713b998a47a8e3bde7eb25cd9a”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.3”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.19042”
“exception”: {
“values”: [
“type”: “Error_Opening_Project”,
“value”: “Project is corrupt\n(Unable to work with the blockfiles)”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.query”: “DELETE FROM sampleblocks WHERE NOT inset(blockid);”,
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “ProjectGileIO::GetBlob”,
“log”: “10:13:47: Error: Couldn’t find symbol ‘av_packet_free’ in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)\n10:13:47: Error: Couldn’t find symbol ‘avcodec_free_context’ in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)\n10:13:57: Loaded 155 string Kb in size\n10:13:57: sqlite3 message: (11) database corruption at line 71416 of [1b256d97b5]\n10:13:57: sqlite3 message: (11) statement aborts at 8: [DELETE FROM sampleblocks WHERE NOT inset(blockid);] database disk image is malformed\n10:13:57: DBConnection SetDBError\n\tErrorCode: 11\n\tLastError: Project is corrupt\n(Unable to work with the blockfiles)\n\tLibraryError: database disk image is malformed\n”

my arrangement of this song

Where did the actual song come from? Are you importing music from a web page or other source? It’s complaining about a number of things but corrupt codec is in there.

Are you doing these jobs on your internal drive C:? Audacity doesn’t much like external drives, network drives or cloud drives.

Have you ever run the Microsoft disk tools. Optimizer?

I think there’s a checker, too. If you have a busy, filling up, or badly fragmented drive, it can throw the Audacity timings and coordination off. Nobody wrote you can’t have more than one problem, either.


I am using the latest version

That’s dangerous. Real numbers are good. I think the current version is 3.1.0, but the “get-out-of-jail” version is 3.1.3. Someone will correct me.


The current version is 3.1.3 - it fixes a nasty database bug that was in earlier 3.1.x versions.


The song is several recordings of me playing live instruments that I’m piecing together through audacity. Each audio recording is an .m4a file that I imported into the software from the system’s voice recorder software. I recently installed FFmpeg for the ability to import these files. There are around 19 audio files including instruments and separate channels for faint reverb effects. I don’t own an external drive, but everything is backed up through google drive. I don’t think I’ve ever run the Microsoft disk tools. I am on version 3.1.3, as I was prompted to update to it upon starting the software.

So if you care to zip up your .aup3 project file and upload it to a public file sharing service, then post (or PM me) a link, I’ll take a look at it. :slight_smile:

I think our posts crossed.

So this may or may not be a good thing. Backing up to google drive is a good thing, but having an active project on a google drive can lead to corruption errors such as you have been experiencing. :astonished: :open_mouth:

I tried uploading the project file to dropbox; let me know if it works.
The main thing I want to get out of this if possible is potential reasons for this happening. This happened twice with this project (once Dec. 31, once today), but never with any of my other projects. If the file does get restored somehow, how do I prevent the issue from happening again?

how do I prevent the issue from happening again?

That’s the question isn’t it? That’s what’s been driving everybody nuthouse. Seemingly out of nowhere, Audacity will spray a show all over the place and then claim it can’t put everything back together again.

A note here, did you start the show on an earlier Audacity and now you’re continuing in 3.1.3? I think the prevailing wisdom is copy and paste all the tracks and work out of your old project into a fresh new one running 3.1.3. You want as little inherited baggage from the old Audacity as possible.


So I have PM’d you a link to the recovered file. :smiley:

So, as I mentioned before, don’t work on an active project through google drive. :smiley:

The recovered file won’t work either, so I’m uninstalling Audacity and seeing if that was the problem.

Curious. “wisps.recovered.aup3” opens fine on my machine. “Will of the Wisps - Main Theme.aup3” gives me “Project is Corrupt”.

Make sure you unzip the recovered file before you try to run it. Otherwise you will get “Project is read only (Unable to work with the blockfiles)”. :wink: :ugeek:

Thank you, it needed unzipped. I didn’t consider that opening it directly would be different than removing it from the folder. Thank you!