Error message

I am running Audacity 2.1.1 on Windows XP. I am trying to convert a cassette to MP3. I have a high-quality, medical transcription cassette player and have (HOPEFULLY) connected it correctly. I have a split stereo connection cord (so I can connect headphones and therefore hear what’s playing) running FROM the HEADPHONE JACK on the player and INTO the MIC connection on my PC. I hit “PLAY” on the cassette player and I can hear through my headphones, so I know that works, but when I hit “RECORD” on Audacity, I get an error message: ERROR WHILE OPENING SOUND DEVICE. PLEASE CHECK THE PLAYBACK DEVICE SETTINGS AND THE PROJECT SAMPLE RATE". How do I do that and why is nothing working like I thought it would? Also, what do I select for “Recording Device”? I see “Vinyl97 Audio (WAVE) MIC or LINE IN” which do I choose? I’m frustrated! Someone PLEASE tell me what I’m doing wrong!

See [u]Selecting Your Recording Device[/u].

FROM the HEADPHONE JACK on the player and INTO the MIC connection on my PC.

If you have a desktop or tower computer with a regular soundcard, try the line-input. A microphone signal is about 1/100th a line-level or headphone-level signal, and it’s a mismatch.

If the sound quality is OK, then you can use that setup. But, if you are using a laptop with no line-input and get excessive noise or distortion, you may need a USB audio interface with a line-input.

I did find a tutorial and switched the input on my CPU from MIC to IN LINE but am still receiving the same error message.

What is the make and model number of the computer? Is the mic in you are connected to the only audio input? Can you connect headphones to that same port to listen? If so that port might also need changing to an input.

What device is “Vinyl97 Audio (WAVE) MIC or LINE IN”? Is that the built in computer sound device?

What is the make and model number of the cassette player? Can it also connect to the computer by a USB Cable?

Have you tried 44100 Hz project rate bottom left of Audacity, and MME host in Device Toolbar?

If you are still stuck, please restart Audacity then open Help > Audio Device Info… . Save that as a text file and attach the file. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Gale