Error Exporting MP3 File Never Seen Before

Not sure where to post this but I’m having a similar problem. For the past six months, I record a sermon at church. I exit Audacity and always say Yes to save again or save. I then go to Windows Explorer and send the file to a thumb drive.

I take the drive home and insert it on my home computer (both machines are running the latest version of Audacity (3.3.3).

I bring up the sermon, edit it, and save a file_EDITED version of the edits, keeping the original audacity file intact.

I then go to File / Export / Export as MP3. This always works fine.

I had two sermons from this past sunday. One worked fine as norma. The second file came up with an error, “Audacity failed to read from a file in D:.”

I’ve tried several things including making a copy of the aup file and renaming it “test.aup” as well as making sure there were no characters in the filename that were not allowed.

Pretty frustrating. I have not yet gone back to the original computer and see if I could do something with it there. Since one of the files worked and the other didn’t, and I’ve been doing this for at least two sermons a week for six months, it’s weird that it’s anything else besides something with Audacity.

The laptop at church is running the latest patches to Windows 10 and I’m running the latest Windows patches to Windows 11 at home.

Given this has worked for six months and one of the two files worked from Sunday, it is just pretty weird. The AUP file plays the audio fine. No errors or problems.

Thank you.

Here is the debug code:

{
“timestamp”: 1693231974,
“event_id”: “d63b5df1459cc443aa2992b2e57d6fa3”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.3.3”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.22621”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “File_Error”,
“value”: “Audacity failed to read from a file in .”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “SqliteSampleBlock::GetBlob::step”
}
}
}
]
}
}

So this error code “11” means your .aup3 project file is corrupted.

In most cases the project can be recovered. See: Corrupt or Otherwise Broken Audacity Project Recovery

Thank you. This was excellent help. Should i try to patch the audacity file on the original laptop PC or on the pc I have at home I use for editing? I’d prefer to try to patch the edited .aup file because I spent an hour or more editing it. It sounds like this solution might work even for the edited version.

Also, simple question, I can’t figure out how to print my post or the chain of the post and all the replies. Seems like that would be a nice feature to have? There must be a way.

Thank you.

Matt

It sounds like you have answered you own questions.

My browser has a print option: either Ctrl+P or Ctrl+F, P work just fine. I wouldn’t bother printing out the entire chain as the original post has been updated to reflect any corrections/additions/comments.

The Ctrl+F and P worked. It had the left frame in the print preview. I chose Simplified in the print dialog and got exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

Depending on what “D” is, that could be the problem. The new AUP3 format requires an NTFS drive so it won’t work from a thumb drive. (You can temporarily copy the file to/from a FAT drive.)

[quote]

I recommend exporting as WAV immediately after recording. You can use that as a back-up or re-open it for editing, etc. And of course you can make a back-up of that on another drive if you are super-paranoid (or if you just want to be super-careful).

And if the recoding is “critical” it’s a good idea to make a 2nd recording in parallel at the same time. You can use a 2nd computer, or a phone, or a solid state recorder, etc. Solid state recorders tend to be more foolproof because there are fewer settings to mess-up… A LOT can go wrong with computers, and sooner or later it will, and you usually don’t know until it’s too late. And that’s a bummer when there’s no possibility of “take 2”. :wink:

Hi DVDdoug! I wonder if your suggestion about the NTFS format of my thumbdrive is what happened. I just checked my new thumbdrive and it’s “exFAT”.

The thing that threw me off, if you read the original post, is that I put two sermons on this thumbdrive this past Sunday. The first one copied over to my NTFS D: drive just fine and I edited it and I exported it to an MP3 file. No problems. It was the second one that might have been 15 minutes longer that had the issue when I went to export it. It sounds like, if this is the issue, I can go back to the original laptop and simply copy the file over to an NTFS thumbdrive and I should be good to go. The other suggestion of fixing a corrupt AUP file looks much more involved. Thank you for mentioning this. Didn’t even think about it since the files copied just fine two times. (once from laptop to thumb and then thumb to PC tower). Matt

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.