Editing a Voice Recording

I am using Windows 7 and Audacity ver: 2.0.5.
Making sound tracks has been very successful using Audacity and I have had no trouble appending the track to add extra info. at the end but I would like to know if it is possible to INSERT extra recording within the track. (before I have saved it)
'would appreciate advice on this. Thanks. D

The easiest way is Import both tracks so they appear one above the other. Select the voice track by clicking just above the MUTE button > Copy (Control-C). Then click in the main show blue waves where you want the voice to be and Paste, Control-V.

That’s not particularly elegant, but it does work. You can trim and shift things around until it works.

A more elegant solution is to Import the show to the top track and Import the voice so it appears on the second track.

Pick the spot in the show and Edit > Split Boundaries > Split.
Then select the Time Shift Tool (Sideways black arrows). Click and pull the right-hand side of the show to create a hole. Click the new Voice and drag sideways until it’s right opposite the hole (click on the illustration). Then you can mess with each track independent of the other to make the transition seamless.

When you export the show, Audacity will mix it down to one single track.

Koz
Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 6.49.27 PM.png

Koz.
Thanks for the Info. I tried both methods. I got into a few problems using the second method with “overwriting” of the inserted track. The first method has worked out well and has allowed me to make “seamless” insertions and I will continue to repeat this method.
D.

On some material it may be beneficial to do CTRL + Z before the Cut and CTRL + Z again after placing the cursor (before the paste). CTRL + Z moves the selection edges or cursor to a safe place where the audio sample amplitude is zero. This may not work perfectly for stereo tracks because the zero crossing points may be at different places in each channel.

See: Audacity Manual .

The “elegant” method works best you have a bit of overlap between the tracks and if at both start and end of the inserted piece, you fade out the audio that is coming to an end and fade in the audio that is starting. You can use Envelope Tool for finer control of fades.

Gale