Edit MP3 from 40 minutes to 10

I recently downloaded Audacity 2.3.0 for my Windows 10 laptop. I have a 40 minute audio in MP3 and I would like to copy about the last 10 minutes to a new file so I can share that portion with a friend. Or alternatively I could delete about the first 30 minutes because I am working with a copy.

I imported the MP3 and can listen to it in Audacity. I need to be able to identify where the new, shorter version should start, and take the actions I described. However, I don’t see instructions for what seems to be a simple task. I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

You can click about where you want to “break” and then drag the cursor to the beginning to select/highlight the part you want to delete.

Once selected hit the DEL key on your keyboard or Edit → Delete to delete it.

You might want to do that in two steps and/or View → Zoom if you want to be more-precise.

And, you might want a very-short fade-in (Effect → Fade-in[/I]) for a “smooth” start.

\

Just a quick note on MP3 - MP3 is lossy compression. When you open an MP3 in Audacity it gets decompressed. Then if you re-export as MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression. You may not hear any quality loss, but the “damage” does accumulate and it’s something to be aware of.