[edit] Can't launch Audacity after building from source

Error below. Following instructions on github verbatim. Installing on Debian 10 Buster. No errors during compile, I have all dependencies installed. This is running from the portable bin. Same error if I sudo make install

ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:638:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1108:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:823:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
Segmentation fault

Which version of the source code are you using? The latest development code from the ‘master’ branch (commit id cea4a91) ?

The latest development code from the ‘master’ branch (commit id cea4a91) ?

yes

Is the problem that Audacity won’t launch after you have built it, rather than that you can’t get the build to succeed?

That is correct. The error I’ve posted is what I get when I try to launch. So you’re right, the build works fine, but I can’t launch the application.

[edited title to better reflect the problem…]

I see the same crash here.
I’ve reported it to the developers.

I was hoping that this might have been fixed, but it appears that it is still this old issue: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/issues/1170
One of the devs tells me that a recent change “may” provide a workaround, and will look into that today or tomorrow.