distortion when reducing sampling rate

Dear Forum
I have been having a tussle with a project to digitize my vinyls. I have only just begun so I am very new at this. I have a Terratec USB26 Producer which does the digization on a Windows box. If I digitize at 9600 hz, 24 bit and import into Audacity I can clean, (de-click, de-noise etc). I am less clear as to the setting for the sliders for RIAA equalization. However my main problem at the moment is that when I change the sample rate from 96 kHz to 44100 Hz I get a large amount of distortion.
I use Fedora 7 on a 32 bit AMD Athalon chip. The Audacity version is 1.3.2.

ths truong

You rang several bells there. If you’re worried about RIAA equalization, then you’re doing it wrong. RIAA is taken care of automatically in the Phono Preamplifier. You need to have a preamp or something that says it’s a preamp.

Do you have a classic analog turntable? It should have three cables: Left Sound, Right Sound, and a thin black ground wire with a fork connection.

I don’t see any place to put the ground wire on the Terratec USB26 Producer. Am I just not seeing it?

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.24.36 PM.png
That third wire has to be there. The music will be noisy without it.

Koz

Even a dirt simple Behringer UFO-202 phono preamp has a place for that third wire. Screw terminal on the left.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.29.19 PM.png
Koz