Device in Use error preventing stereo recording

Just purchased Lenovo V330 with 64-bit Windows 10. Downloaded Audacity 2.3.0 to use with Behringer U-Phono UFO202.

Previously used Audacity 2.1.1 on Windows 7 and same Behringer device on an older laptop and everything worked fine.
Great, fabulous product BTW, I sure hope I can make it work on my new laptop!

On Win 10:
In Sound Recording Settings:
o Microphone: 2-USB Audio CODEC is enabled. USB Audio CODEC
o Microphone Properties: Sound, video and game controllers (Generic USB Audio)

Under Advanced Properties:
o Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in shared mode is set to.
“1 channel 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)” is displayed.
I try to change this to
“2 channel 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)” as this works in Win 7 on older laptop.

I get error message “Device in use. This device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?”

I reply Yes and it seems to be accepted. But then I go back to Sound settings and the
“1 channel 16 bit value …” remains.

Checked are: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device. and Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Unchecking these has no effect because the system just checks them again.

I restarted the PC hoping that would stop whatever other application is allegedly using the device but that made no difference.

Audacity will record, but the signal on the left channel input is put on both channels. The signal on the right channel input is not recorded.

Device driver is Conexant, with 3/30/18 driver update. I searched Forum Windows entries for Device in Use and found nothing. I hope you can shed some light on this, thanks.

Device driver is Conexant, with 3/30/18 driver update.

The only thing I can think of that’s odd is the driver. I didn’t think the simpler Behringer adapters needed one. They’re all class compliant—unpack it, plug it in and go.

???

Koz

I know very little about all of this, but I looked at the same spot in Win 7 (where Behringer works properly) and it shows a Microsoft Driver 6.1.7601.18208. I think the driver is just there for any generic USB device. Whether or not Behringer actually needs or uses the driver that is there, I sure don’t know.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds032124


Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 9.54.10.png
I wonder if this is the software for your fancy, built-in soundcard.

The Behringer doesn’t need that. USB devices don’t go through the soundcard. The soundcard job is inside the UFO202.

I’m not the best Windows elf. Maybe someone else has ideas.

Koz

The signal on the right channel input is not recorded.

Right. So your system is being forced to record Left-MONO instead of stereo. Drivers may be the first place to go look for problems like that.

Audacity does not apply effects, filters or corrections to incoming audio. Whatever Windows sends down the wires is what gets recorded.

You could open the Windows control panels —> sound and see what’s there.

This is Win7. Right-click the speaker, lower right.


Win7-RightClickSpeaker.jpg
Win7-SoundControlPanel.jpg

That green thing is a sound meter. Find your device and > Properties. If you can’t find your device, unplug it and scan again and see which device vanishes.


Koz

I agree that’s the wrong driver. It uses the Microsoft-supplied drivers. The only driver Behringer offers is ASIO4ALL, but Audacity will ignore it since Audacity isn’t an ASIO application.

If you’re feeling brave you can try going into the Windows Device Manager and “Remove this device”. I think it will automatically re-install if you simply unplug it and plug it back in. And hopefully, it will re-install with the Microsoft-supplied driver and “reset” everything.

If you’re feeling slightly-less brave, hang-on until this evening (California time) and I’ll try it with a USB audio device I have and let you know how it goes. (I don’t own the Behringer.)

DVDdoug, Thank you! I think this fixed the problem. I have been testing only by pushing an audio plug into the L and R jacks part way and watching the noise on the Audacity Recording monitor. But for the first time L plug noise goes only on L channel and R noise goes only on R channel on the monitor. Still have to make a real recording.

I felt “brave” because this is the only audio I ever plan to do on Win 10 and if I broke it further I would not have lost anything. I was resigned to doing all my audio recording on my Win 7 PC and just moving the files to Win 10. Now I should be able to do everything on Win 10.

I haven’t even bothered to look to see what driver(s) might be there now, I’m just happy that it works and will leave it at that. Thanks again!!!