Deleting Blank Space

I am using Audacity 1.2.6 on Windows XP Service Pack 2. I recorded many audio cassette tapes as one project, using Audacity. That went well until I decided to delete a couple of conversations. The result is that when I converted to MP3, there are blanks where the deletions were made. One blank is approximately 50 minutes long. How can I delete the blanks from what was recorded or do I have to start all over again. I am new to Audacity and looked at the help guide but could not figure out the answer.

I’m guessing that you didn’t actually use “Edit->Delete”, because if you do Audacity automatically moves the later audio so as to remove the blank section (it closes the hole created by deleting).

What you can do about it now is:

If there’s a flat line (silence) joining the recorded bits, then simply to selct the blank parts and use Edit->Delete (or just hit the delete key)

If there is no line between the two clips, then you should be able to drag the later clip up to the first clip using the “Time Shift Tool” (it looks like a double headed arrow).