Dear jademan & co - please assist with corrupted AUP3 file! :(

Hi guys,

A radio recording of roughly 1GB in aup3 is unreadable in Mac or Windows (originally recorded in OSX). The project has only a single stereo track in WAV.

The recording was stopped and the project saved and no errors were thrown, however opening the project now throws the following exception:

"exception": {
        "values": [
            {
                "type": "File_Error",
                "value": "Audacity failed to read from a file in <path>.",
                "mechanism": {
                    "type": "runtime_error",
                    "handled": false,
                    "data": {
                        "sqlite3.rc": "11",
                        "sqlite3.context": "SqliteSampleBlock::Load::step"

I just need to extract that single WAV file of roughly 1 hour…

From other similar posts I can see that some of you (specifically the legend that is jademan) are able to recover this data somehow. I’d gladly take a crack myself but have no idea how…

Link to the problem file below. Hoping somebody can assist. I’ll gladly return the favour in any way I’m able to!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eu4P_YoKgWLIWVoTALmqd5xAFcOT4TLu/view?usp=sharing

(Also happy to take the track in 320kb CBR if its quicker to upload than a WAV! Any help is appreciated)

Thanks guys
whitenite

(Also happy to take the track in 320kb CBR if its quicker to upload than a WAV!

I believe the repair is presented as an undamaged project. The WAV is up to you. You are warned not to do production in MP3.

One of the damage conditions is limited space on the internal drive. Another one is trying to run Audacity on a cloud or network drive. Are you doing either of those?

Koz

The project has only a single stereo track in WAV.

It is recommended that you Export a perfect quality WAV file immediately when you make a recording before you save an Audacity Project. Once a Project crashes, particularly during an edit, there may be no usable recovery.

Koz

Thanks Koz.

I am aware, however in my country (South Africa) we have intermittent power cuts and the radio station needed to stop recording and save the project urgently. There was no time to export the WAV.

As for the 320 mp3 - I simply meant that if anyone can download and extract the audio from this project for me, I’d be happy even with an mp3 over a WAV if its quicker to upload.

Still hoping someone can assist with recovering this for me…

One of the damage conditions is limited space on the internal drive. Another one is trying to run Audacity on a cloud or network drive. Are you doing either of those?

No neither of those apply - the project was saved with no issue. A recording was made directly after this and was not corrupt. This is a weird one…

I’m downloading it now. But I am on my way to be out of town today, so it will be much later before I can even look at it.

Your error 11 indicates a corrupt database. It is likely that your data is not retrievable. And since your project is stereo (not single track mono), it is unlikely that a data extraction will be useful.

Anyway, I’ll take a look at it.

Later.

Thanks so much man! Holding thumbs.

are able to recover this data somehow.

It is likely that your data is not retrievable. And since your project is stereo (not single track mono), it is unlikely that a data extraction will be useful.

Because this is an unedited recording, it’s possible some sound may be recovered, but it may be in the Project format of alternating Left-Right-Left-Right in six second blocks. So the task would be to manually separate a two-hour track back into either stereo, or save, say, the “Left” blocks into a single mono rack.

Would that be valuable? If it’s an interview with one person on the left, then no, but if it’s a stereo recording of a mono production, then yes.

This will be the second time this has happened, and I don’t know of a pre-baked tool to separate the chunks.

You should wear your Producer hat and start planning what would happen if the show didn’t come back.

Koz

Would that be valuable? If it’s an interview with one person on the left, then no, but if it’s a stereo recording of a mono production, then yes.

@Koz

I’m a DJ. It’s a roughly 1 hour DJ mix with intermittent voice overs. It’s therefore fully stereo throughout and a mono version would not sound great, although it’d be better than nothing!

So you have all the original tunes and you could shoot it again. It’s not like we flushed the only interview with Ramaphosa.

Are you up to reconstructing the hour six seconds at a time? Let’s say it takes you 20 seconds to find each chunk boundary and edit into its proper place in the stereo show.

That’s about three and a half hours. That’s assuming you got all the boundaries right. That’s what the database was doing and that’s what failed.

Koz

mate if it was as simple as recording it again I wouldn’t be here wasting everyone’s time…

Let’s hope jademan has some luck.

OK, so I tried the usual technique of swapping the project and autosave records - no cigar. :frowning:

I looked at a few other tricks I had up my sleeve - and was unsuccessful with those. :frowning:

I was able to extract the sound data from your project, which I have pretty good luck at. Since you hadn’t done any editing, as koz had mentioned, it should be pretty straight forward (while difficult and time consuming) to separate the left and right tracks. :wink:

I am currently uploading a zipped file and will PM you the link when it is finished uploading (in about an hour).

OK; I PM’d the link to you. :smiley:

Thanks so much Jademan!