I am using Audacity 2.4.2 on Windows 10.
I was working on a project, and had spent 10 mins or so just doing splits, split cuts and time shifts of clips, to time-align two of the tracks.
In case it’s relevant, I had the two tracks I had been working on set to dB scale rather than Linear.
Then I did a ‘Fit to Width’, which worked fine, followed by a ‘Fit to Height’, which caused it to crash.
There are 34 audio tracks and one label track in this project. The project length is 6mins 35s.
Upon restarting Audacity, I got the message saying that the project was recoverable, but on clicking ‘Recover’ it failed to do so and crashed again before I had done anything else - it didn’t get as far as seeing the tracks appear.
This crash (and the failure to recover) is now completely repeatable on this project. It happens regardless of whether I use the menu bar command or Ctrl-Shift-F. On a non-recovered (i.e. earlier) version of the same project, I only need to open the project and do a ‘Fit to Height’ and the crash is immediate, every time. I have tried doing several things prior to ‘Fit to Height’ (e.g. playback) and they all work fine. But as soon as I then do a ‘Fit to Height’, it crashes.
The only exception is that if ‘Fit to Height’ is immediately preceded by doing ‘Collapse All Tracks’, then the crash doesn’t occur (maybe because there is then nothing for ‘Fit to Height’ to do?)
Since nothing further can be done after a ‘Fit to Height’, I don’t know how to how to create and capture a diagnostic report of the crash details, since this seems to need a menu operation in Help->Diagnostics. But maybe I don’t understand or there is another way?
I have worked on about 25 Audacity projects previously over the last year (with 2.4.2 and other recent previous versions) and never had this happen before. I have used ‘Fit to Height’ before OK on those projects - but not used it very often.
I haven’t been doing anything unusual in the project that shows this problem - but it is my first project that has had as many as 35 tracks. Maybe the biggest previous one was around 20-25 tracks.
I have tried creating a test project with the same number of tracks (each containing just a tone) but I can’t make that project crash when using ‘Fit to Height’.
I’m very happy to try more tests to assist with fixing this, or to capture diagnostics if I’m told how to do that.