crash: Audacity v2.1.3-alpha-Jun 9 2016 on Ubuntu 14.04

First: I only barely used audacity a bit years ago.

I just googled how to install audacity on ubuntu 14.04 and followed the instructions to add this ppa: audacity-team-daily-trusty.list
Apologies if it’s not recommended to install a daily alpha, but it’s what I found googling. If the solution to the crash is to install something stabler, please advise how.

What I did:

1. ran Audacity v2.1.3-alpha-Jun 9 2016 on Ubuntu 14.04
  2. imported a two-minute mp3
  3. copied a solo section I wanted, about 20 seconds of audio
  4. originally I tried File->New, following a youtube tutorial I found, to paste the solo section, and Audacity crashed.
  5. I ran Audacity from the command line
  6. It seems to be able to recover my work at this point
  7. I tried saving the project. Audacity crashed.

The output:

$ audacity

(process:7101): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(process:7101): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(process:7101): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(process:7101): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised

(Audacity:7101): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4611
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4611
Expression 'ret' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1736
Expression 'AlsaOpen( &alsaApi->baseHostApiRep, params, streamDir, &self->pcm )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1904
Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_Initialize( &self->capture, alsaApi, inParams, StreamDirection_In, NULL != callback )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2171
Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Initialize( stream, alsaHostApi, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, callback, streamFlags, userData )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2840
*** Caught unhandled unknown exception; terminating
10:21:59 PM: Debug: pthread_mutex_[timed]lock(): mutex not initialized
10:21:59 PM: Debug: pthread_mutex_unlock(): mutex not initialized.
10:21:59 PM: Debug: pthread_mutex_[timed]lock(): mutex not initialized
10:21:59 PM: Debug: pthread_mutex_unlock(): mutex not initialized.

Watching YouTube videos about Audacity is strongly discouraged. Some of the videos are wrong, and most do not say what version of Audacity they refer to.

You can install the Ubuntu-packaged Audacity 2.0.5 stable release from the “Ubuntu Software Centre” or Synaptic. If you want a more recent Audacity version than that, it is recommended you uninstall your packaged version and/or the Daily Build PPA then install the Ubuntu Handbook PPA of Audacity 2.1.2 for Ubuntu 14.04. That 2.1.2 is a stable release version.

I don’t think the 2.1.2 PPA above includes Audacity Manual. Please visit http://manual.audacityteam.org to view the 2.1.2 Manual online or download it from http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/unzipping_the_manual.html.

If it not recommended that you install alpha builds unless you are a tester who wants to help us debug code changes made between releases.

Thanks for providing the steps. They don’t crash on Windows in 2.1.3-alpha. We can try them on Linux too. Might the MP3 file be corrupt in some way? Let us know if that same file crashes in the 2.1.2 PPA with the same steps.

Gale

I have the same problem in this alpha version of Audacity in Ubuntu.
When I open any mp3 file in audacity and then copy the part of this mp3 file to other audacity project, the audacity shut down. I hadn’t this problem in older versions Audacity. This problem is in 2.1.3 Alpha for Ubuntu. The same problem is between two opened audacity projects. Will be this bug removed in the next release version of audacity?

We appreciate you testing, but please note alpha builds are, by definition, not stable releases. If you want a stable release and are on Ubuntu 14.x or 15.x you should be using the Ubuntu Handbook 2.1.2 PPA.

If you really want to test for us, you need to follow the Audacity commits every day and update your “audacityteam” daily build PPA every day, so you can report against the latest code.

I don’t have access to Ubuntu 14.04 at the moment but I did try in Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit. There was no crash with the steps as provided. Might this be something to do with your changing Snap To and do you see an assertion before the crash? See http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1401.

Have you played the imported file before you copy, File > New then paste? Did you play exactly the selection that you then copied?

Gale

Thanks Gale,

I decided to uninstall the daily PPA and try 2.0.5 first and that seems to work ok–no crashes for me on my Ubuntu 14.04.

I don’t think it matters but I run KDE rather than Unity. I don’t have Ubuntu Software Center. I do have Muon Software Center but I try to stick to CLI, so I installed with “apt-get”.

I suppose it’s for another topic but I also used “Effects → Change Tempo” to slow by 30% and as I would expect it’s a bit rough but good enough for my purposes, unless someone happens to know of a better way offhand.

I will try the next time with 2.1.2 from the Ubuntu Handbook PPA and report back if any problem.

Chris

Sliding Time Scale / Pitch Shift
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sliding_time_scale_pitch_shift.html