I have two PCs: 1) Office 2) Studio. Both on Win10. Both on 2.4.1
Office PC behaves and Audacity works as expected.
And it worked fine on my studio computer until I played with some system level sound changes, like changing from 48 to 44,100 and trying different settings to get more gain from my mic. This is not wizard level playing, just sound settings.
I get the two red arrows above and it freezes LIKE its recording, but nothing happens. So I hit stop.
I’ve uninstalled via 1) System uninstall. 2) Audacity Repair/uninstall (running install exe again) and 3) removing the program through CCleaner AND deleting the PC/Windows/Programs86 folder and more. Then reinstalled using the same install file I originally installed both PCs with, then also this last time through downloading a fresh install file and all this still exists. Last two installs I told it to also overwrite the preferences.
HELP!! I really depend on this program. Thanks all.
Using a WARM 47jr mic> SSL-3 Interface-> J5 create USB hub-> HP Spectre x2 laptop/tablet-> WIn10
If the Audacity project-rate and the input device sample-rate do not match, Audacity may not be able to record from it.
Try making the sample rates for Audacity & your input device the same (both 48K, or both 44.1kHz).
Thanks. I’d done that, thanks. I just started the program to be sure. I can ALWAYS start and record on the first track. It appears the issue is attempting to add the second track.
Here’s what I just did; on track one: Started and stopped recording 6 times. No issues.
Then I added a track and cannot record to it. NOR can I go back and record on track one.
However, when I delete track two, I can go back and append to track one, recording at the end.
It’s possible the problem is the settings on your audio interface.
Some can be set to attenuate/mute one signal when another signal is present, (a/k/a auto-ducking in real-time).
e.g. when interface detects the sound output from the computer, it mutes the input on the second track, => no recording.
(There’s no problem when recording the first track, as there was no sound from the computer when it was made).
Thanks. There are no “controllable” settings on my SSL-2, but that gave me an idea. I did a total remove/reinstall of both Audacity and the SSL-2 interface and poof-> problem fixed. It took a couple restarts, but it fixed itself.