Correct recording settings?

Hello

I am using Audacity 2 on Win 7 and I am trying to record a Web page embedded audio file via an external microphone which hangs over one of the speakers while the recording is playing. Not the best, I know, but I can’t see any alternative.

Basically, I can’t seem to be able to record (yet all the hardware is working) and so I am attching three screen shots and would be grateful if someone could confirm that the Audacity software is set up correctly.

I can see a line going across the Audacity software while the audio file is playing, and the clock is moving too, but when I click ‘play’ to play it back I can’t hear anything.

Many thanks

Blue
Audacity3.jpg
Audacity2.jpg
Audacity1.jpg

In your second picture:
Audacity is set to record from a microphone.
To record what is playing on your computer you need to set that to “Stereo Mix” (if available).

If there is no Stereo Mix option, have a look in the Windows Recording Control Panel and see if your computer has a Stereo Mix option that you can enable (see here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel )

If your computer does not have a Stereo Mix option, then you will need to use one of the workarounds described on that page.

Many thanks for that, Steve, and for the useful links.

I think I have managed to get the ‘mix’ working now.

Cheers

Blue1