Concatenating Files

I installed the Audacity software and was able to record one side of a vinyl LP. The result was 287 .au files, each 1024 KB in size. Each can be played back. However, to write these to a CD I need to concatenate these files into one large file. I can convert each .au file to a .wav file of size 513 KB. Trying to combine all the .au files into one .wav file or combine all the .wav files into one .wav file results in a file only 513 KB in size, instead of the expected 143 MB or so. Am I doing something wrong? (I need to concatenate into one file because Nero software will not write more than 99 files to CD.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Don’t touch the .au files …

When you save an Audacity project as <project_name> it creates a number of things

1. a top level master project file called <project_name>.aup
  2. a folder at the same filing level called <project_name_data>
  3. and within the folder a sub-folder structure with lots of little .au files - segments of the recording (mainly audio clips - but a couple of then are graphics files)

When you re-open a project with Audacity you should always open the <project_name>.aup top level file. This tells Audacity how to thread together all the little .au files. It is deliberately designed this way so that Audacity doesn’t have to open and work with a single humungously large file, which would hamper performance. You should not be attempting to open or manipulate any individual .au files.

When you have finished editing your Audacity project you can Export it from Audacity as a WAV file or MP3 file depending what sound quality you wish to achieve. WAV files are around ten times larger than the equivalent MP3 files but are uncompressed and thus the audio quality is higher.

Or if you are exporting LP tracks you will prabaly want to break the project into labels and export multiple tracks:

All you need to do is to place a label at each track break - use the Ctrl-B shortcut - and don’t forget to place a label right at the beginning for the first track.

Then use Audacity’s Export Multiple command (available from the File drop-down) to export a multiple set of WAVs, MP3s or whatever.

The Audacity Wiki, Documentation and Turorials have much useful information on how to do this - a recommended read - http://audacityteam.org/help/

WC