Compiling 2.2.2 in Windows 10 for use with ASIO

Hi experts!

So, I’ve been trying to follow the instructions to compile Audacity 2.2.2 for use with ASIO and am failing miserably.

I’ve cloned Audacity, wxWidgets (patched and unpatched) 3.1.1 and downloaded ASIO from Steinberg. Initially I downloaded the zips and found that there were directories missing which caused errors in the builds. 1 problem solved.
I’m using VS 2017 Community to build. Build is in release mode, SDK is windows 10 so I specified this in the configuration options, also using v141 toolset.

wxWidgets has built successfully, so on to Audacity. This hasn’t been so successful!

Soooo many errors stating “nonstandard extension used: ‘[extension]’ keyword only supported in C++, not C” and some syntax errors.

I’m no dev by trade and would push to call myself a hobbyist, so I understand concepts and basic principles. This seems to me as though I have some config wrong somewhere.

Be gentle :laughing:

If I recall correctly, Audacity 2.2.2 requires WxWidgets 3.0.2, and instructions for patching and building Wx3.02 are included in the /win/compile.txt file.

I wouldn’t recommend building Audacity 2.3.0 alpha at this time, as there are significant changes to the build process which are not yet documented.

Thanks for the quick response Steve - I did wonder about the compatibility with 3.1.1.

I’ll give it a go with 3.0.2 and report back.

There is some confusion at present because of the switch over from VS2013 to VS2017. Probably the best advice to get a trouble free result would be to stick with VS2013 and Audacity version 2.2. I have found little difficulty in using WXwidgets 3.1 but again sticking with the 3.0 version is a little easier because there are some explicit references to it in the Visual Studio config files for the solution. Note that if you just download the ‘Master’ version from GitHub it will be a development version so you need to use the tags tab to select 2.2 giving the stable released version. Follow the compile.txt instructions in the win subdirectory and you should have success.

I agree with roadsterUK’s comments, but would add: build Audacity 2.2.2. There’s a nasty bug in 2.2.0 and 2.2.1, which is fixes in 2.2.2.

Also, Audacity 2.3.0 is due to be released in a few weeks, by which time the changes to the build process should have all been ironed out and documented. So when Audacity 2.3.0 has been released, that will become the recommended version for self-builds.