Compiling 1.3.7 on Fedora 8 Fails During Configuration

I am attempting to build Audacity 1.3.7 from a Fedora 12 source rpm on a Fedora 8 system. Although the binary and source rpms successfully build and the binary rpm successfully installs, when audacity is run it fails with:

audacity: pcm_params.c:2333: sndrv_pcm_hw_params: Assertion `err >= 0’ failed.

Reviewing the build log yields a suspicious early configuration warning:

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-help, --with-libsndfile, --without-libresample, --with-libsamplerate, --with-libflac, --with-ladspa, --with-vorbis, --with-id3tag, --with-expat, --with-soundtouch, --without-ffmpeg, --with-wx-config

How should I proceed with debugging the build warning and runtime assertion failure?

Thank you.

I’m not an expert in this sort of thing, but I am one of the few Linux users to regularly visit this forum.

I think that error is to do with Audacity not being able to access your computer sound system. Does your system use PulseAudio?

There is a very similar issue that occurs on fedora 8 with “Helix player”
This suggestion from the Helix player website may help

Q. I cannot hear sound with Fedora 8 or Ubuntu 8.04 (or any distribution with PulseAudio).
A. There is an issue with PulseAudio currently that might result in the RealPlayer not playing any audio or even crashing. A fix for this issue will be released very soon. The workaround is as follows:

With root or sudo privileges, open up /etc/alsa/alsa.conf in your favorite editor and comment (prepend with a #) out the following line: /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/help/playerfaq.html