Collapsed Tracks

I’m using Audacity 23.0 on a Macbook Pro using Mojave 10.14.2. I’m trying to record an audiobook. Occasionally Audacity will just arbitrarilly collapse the tracks (I only use two; one for record and another for edit). I’ve looked through the audacity manual. Looked at “View” on the toolbar as well as tracks.
When I use the mouse in the selection box at the bottom of the selection box on the track that’s showing, and click with the house, hold down and try to expand the track it does not open the tracks back up. This happens randomly and not following any particular action on my part. I don’t know why it happens or how to correct it. I do know that unless I can get through to someone who does know that I’m going to be out of business. Thank you for any advice re: how to solve this issue.

Occasionally Audacity will just arbitrarilly collapse the tracks (I only use two; one for record and another for edit)

I can’t visualize what’s happening. What’s arbitrarily? Once a week? Once a month?

Do you know how to capture a screen? Next time it happens, Shift-Command-4 and draw a box around the place where the tracks were. Just the left panel and some of the blue waves, or where they used to be.

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 18.04.00.png

From a forum window, Attachments (scroll down) and then Add Files. Post the picture.

That picture is more or less normal, right? or do you mean you still have the right number of tracks, but they’re thin blue lines instead of sound.

If I started having random serious disruptions like that, I’d be inspecting the hard drive for space.

Go (top of desktop) > Computer > Right Click the hard drive > Get INFO.

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 18.10.23.png

When was the last time you shut down the whole say? Not restart, but full-on shutdown, wait a bit, and then start.

Do you have a virus program? They’re rare on Macs, but they do exist. Some virus programs have been known to eat Audacity files.

Koz