clicking, popping, recording plays back faster than I recorded

I’ve been using Audacity to record things like skype calls, audio from videos etc for many years without a problem using my speakers as an input. But since a few months ago, after a windows update, I get huge clicks, the playback is faster than how I recorded i and basically unlistenable recordings.

The sound problems very much points to sample rate problem but I can’t figure it out. My speakers default at 24 bits, 48000HZ. I have Audacity set to the same but I have the problem stated above and still have it no matter what I set it to. If I try changing the sampling rate or sample format on my speakers and adjust it to the same sample rate and format in audacity, it won’t record at all, comes up as an error when I try and record.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

This problem is usually related to multitasking. Your operating system is always multitasking, even when you’re running only one application. So, there must be more background operations running since the Windows update.

You can try increasing the [u]buffer/latency[/u], but you’ll probably have to try to reduce the multi-tasking and/or background operations.

…When the recording buffer doesn’t get read in-time it overflows. Little pieces of the audio don’t get recorded so you end-up with a shorter (faster playing) file with glitches.

Thanks DVD Doug! I appreciate your answer very much and will try what you say.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, after turning off all background programs and changing the latency I still have the same problem. Thing about it is, I can record fine with a microphone without any problem. It’s only if I select speakers as the input do I have this problem. Any other advice is very much appreciated.