Citronic AC-1USB, Audacity and my HiFi

Please bear in mind that I am pretty un-technical on the audio side when reading or replying to this.

I have just bought this AC-1USB unit to try to record to an HP Elitebook laptop running Windows 10 (with all the latest updates) from my HiFi - LPs and tapes. I went this way as my lap top has a single input for mic and headphones and I haven’t managed to get an output from it by using a variety of supposedly “correct” cables and plugs. So I read about the Citronic unit and decided to give it a go.

However, when I tried to connect it, I got no sound into Audacity (V2.1.2 just downloaded the exe from the website). I have an pair of RCA type cables from the Aux sockets on my Amp to the AC-1USB and then the USB output from that to a USB3 socket on the PC. I have set up Audacity as per the AC-1 instructions (not very clear but…) - Audacity, Edit, Preferences - USB Audio Codec for both playback and recording, plus 2 channel (stereo). My HiFi is a set of Technics - Amp (SU-X911), record deck SL-J11OR), tape (RS-x911) and CD (SL-PJ26A).

Please can someone who knows tell me where I am going wrong? For instance, should I connect to the tape/deck output sockets rather than the Amp Aux output? All ideas welcomed - thanks.

I don’t see any reason for that not to work.

My first choice is to connect the Tape Out of your amplifier to the Line-In (Switch to Line, not Phono). That’s awkward because you have an actual tape machine, but that may be good for testing anyway. Once working, you can juggle the cables and connections as you want. My sister has an AUX out on her amplifier that the fine print will tell you isn’t intended for normal sound dubbing.

Close Audacity.

Open the Windows control panels and see if you can find the AC-1USB, and then if the Windows bouncing sound meter follows you when you play music. Audacity gets its sound from Windows, not the device.

Right click on the speaker icon lower right of the desktop. And there you lose me. We have to wait for a Windows elf.

I can tell you that Audacity checks for connection when it starts. So after Windows is happy, then start Audacity. You can also Transport > Rescan…


Your device may not arrive in Windows as that exact name. Windows will show the 'USB Data Name" which may have no relationship to the actual device. The Desperation Method is to look at the Windows list before and after you connect the device. The name that comes and goes is the hero.

I’m not kidding. Sometimes it comes down to that.

My Behringer interface is called USB Audio CODEC when the system sees it. Its retail name is UCA-202.


Thanks to those who replied above - all helpful.

I have partially solved the problem. I had to connect the output RCA leads from the tape player part of the HiFi directly into the Citronic. Then, when line in was selected, it all worked well. As suggested, the Windows name for it was “USB Audio CODEC” and once I had sorted that bit out all was well.

I have yet to manage the record player element but am working on the assumption that I need to do the same - connect the output of the deck directly into the Citronic - but that needs RCA extension cables with a male on one end and a female on the other, which I have yet to source. I will update this post when I have got that going too (or not).

but that needs RCA extension cables with a male on one end and a female on the other, which I have yet to source.

Try not to run the extension too far… The signal from a phono cartridge is low-level and if you run the cables from one room to another you might pick-up hum (or more hum than you normally would). Good audio cables are shielded, but sometimes you still pick-up hum from the AC power lines.

If you’re making a long cable run, it might be better to get a USB extension and move the audio interface closer to the turntable. (There is some limit to how far you can run USB cable too, but it’s digital and it won’t pick-up hum.)