change balance between tracks

With Audacity 2.1.3 on Windows, how do I adjust the balance between tracks a bit?

I use the Normalize function with “Normalize stereo channels independantly”, but if I want to bump up the left-channel a bit more, how would I do that.
The pan control on the left side does that of course, but I’m thinking this is a playback control, and won’t save the result when I save the project.

Thanks…Lyle

To the left of the waveform there is a little drop-down arrow. Click and select Split Stereo Track. Now you can select and edit/process the left & right channels independently.

I use the Normalize function with “Normalize stereo channels independantly”,

If the balance is good to begin with, don’t do that! :wink:

but if I want to bump up the left-channel a bit more, how would I do that.

Assuming you’ve normalized to 0dB you can’t boost the volume without clipping (distorting). So, reduce the louder channel (Amplify with a negative dB change.)

…Just FYI - GoldWave ($45 USD) has a tool/effect called Max/Match that matches the average volume before maximizing/normalizing. But, you probably don’t want to buy GoldWave just for that feature.

If you save as an Audacity project it will remember where the pan slider was.
If you save as an audio file, e.g. WAV, MP3, you’ll need to Mix & render before saving to fix the level changes.

Thank you, everyone…Lyle