Certain files saying I'm importing them when I'm not

I recorded some stuff last night and saved it to a usb. I used the “save as” function to do it which has allowed me to open the files without any problem before on other computers. However, when I went to open the files this morning through audacity (file>open) an error importing message comes up, saying that it is already an audacity file and asking me to do to file>open, which I just did. This is happening with every audacity file I have on the usb, however I am able to open an audacity file I have saved on the computer no problem.

Basically, when I go to open files like normal, it says I’m importing them when I’m not.

It’s not an absolute emergency, but I do need to eventually access them and work on the files. I’d really like to not have to re record everything.

Also, I’m using Windows 7.

Any advice on something to try out would be great, thanks!
Capture.PNG

Audacity will not Save a sound file. It only saves Projects. You can make a sound file, but you have to Export to do it.

This is an Audacity Project.

If you go back to the original machine, it should be possible to find the associated _DATA folders. Put the AUP file and the _DATA folder in the same location or folder. Double click the AUP file or File > Open and the show should open.

it says I’m importing them when I’m not.

I think it does that if it can’t find the _DATA folder. The AUP file is a computer program, not sound. Its job is to tell Audacity how to put your show together from the stuff in the _DATA folder.

If you do that again, File > Export WAV (Microsoft) at the default settings. That’s a perfect stereo sound format and safe as long as you don’t try to make a multi-hour show.

Koz

No - if it can’t find the _data folder, it will say that.

When it says you are importing and you are not, it means the AUP file is corrupted (or can’t be read correctly). You could attach the AUP file, but be prepared that it might be empty and unusable. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Do you always use the system tray icon “Safely remove hardware” when you unplug the USB drive?

Gale