cd burning?

Once I have edited what is the best way to burn a cd?

see: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/How_to_burn_CDs

save as a wav file
use nero/roxio/cd_architect or similar program to burn

most pcs come with a basic version of nero/roxio that will work to do jsut a basic cd so
if you dont need really advanced features no more cost

I would recommend reading the full article posted by waxcylinder.

A very good free CD burning program that is not listed on that page is CDBurnerXP (Windows only)
You can get it here: http://cdburnerxp.se/

On Linux I’d recommend k3b.

On MacOS-X you can use itunes or some other app from the bundled software.

Possibly the best CD burner there is (IMHO).

Some time ago I saw a review of nero for linux, in which they comparaed nero to k3b. k3b won in almost every aspect :slight_smile:

you would have to work hard to make a burner that doesnt beat nero in every respect. those guys may be good hackers, but they dont know how to design a program that is easy to use without problems.

Nero is generally accepted to be one of the best commercial CD burning applications for desktop PCs. If you have trouble using it you could try the Lite version which has a much simpler interface, though for Windows I would personally recommend CDBurnerXP, which has the added advantage of being free software.

I was never much of a nero fan… specially the most recent versions with too many eye candy and features and wizards and whatever… nero version 10 years ago was nice, but now i’d prefer k3b a thousand times more :slight_smile:

I’ve never had problems with Nero - I used to use Nero that came bundled on one of my earlier PCs and it always produced good CDs (data and music) and it was easy enough to use.

I now use Nero-9, but mainly for simple video editing and DVD burning - it does that job well and straightforwardly too (in fact my Audacity editing skills reduced the Nero video editing learning-curve somewhat). I have also used this Nero-9 to burn CDs and that is simply done and also works well.

WC

if you only do basic things nero works but is awkward to find where everything is . it has a poor and irrational user interface that was quick to code but hard to use.

latest nero on my new pc defaults to a screen size that is 4x the real size and there are no scroll bars
its arrogant - do it their way or dont use it at all

nero defaults to the wrong options
and wont let you lock them donw
have to find them every time and change them again

nero is fussy about the blank cds you use

has problem at times with data on vendor x and music on vendor y
PITA to keep them straight to know what combos work

Nero wont coexist with any other burner program
install roxio and neither of them will work
you have to rip nero out by the roots first

not that roxio is any better
but last 3 pcs only had nero so i try to use it
until i spring for cd architect

now maybe nero big full paid edition removes the problems
but i am not going to spend money on it to hope that it did

<<>>

It’s not Nero. These are all the problems I used to have on a really old PC. Everything was critical and I had to be really careful which kinds of disks I used and the burn speed and other settings. I also had enormous problems with the free Nero that vanished with the paid version. All the other problems vanished with a faster PC with better drive management.

Koz

The full interface may be a little intimidating for novice users because it includes support for many advanced formats and features: multiple drive support, multiple copies, data verification, bootable CD support, mixed mode CDs and other advanced features. However they also include an “idiot-proof mode” (or whatever they call it) - a “wizard” that takes you through burning standard ISO or audio CDs in a simple step-by-step fashion.

Perhaps you would have been better with Nero 9. The display requirements for Nero 9 are: Graphics card with at least 32 MB video memory and minimum resolution of 800 x 600 pixels and 16-bit color settings (24-bit or 32-bit true color is recommended)

because they don’t do it your way? Most software, in fact most tools of any kind need to be used correctly for best results.

I would prefer to be able to set the default CD type to “Audio CD” instead of “ISO data CD”, but most other options are configurable.

That’s down to the CDs and the CD burning hardware rather than the software. Nero is able to auto-detect the speeds that the CD manufacturers claim are supported. It defaults to the maximum supported write speed but also allows the user to select any of the supported speeds for the CD that is in the selected drive(s). It also has a feature (enabled by default) that checks the speed at which data is actually being written by the drive, and automatically slows down if the disk cannot be written to at the claimed speed. This latter feature reduces the number of coasters dramatically compared to CD burning software that does not have this.
Nero also includes a comprehensive set of tools to test and optimise CD writing quality. Of course users do not necessarily use the provided tools.

Rubbish. I use both Nero and CDBurnerXP on many PCs.

Not surprisingly, considering that Nero is a commercial product, the free versions do not measure up to the full product.

Nero provide a free “Lite” version of Nero 9, though I’d rather recommend my favourite free CD burning application for Windows - CDBurnerXP. It is simple to use and has many features, though it does lack a few advanced features that are available with the full version of Nero (which is unlikely to be a drawback for most users).

Personally my favourite CD burning application is K3B, but that is not available for Windows or Mac (it’s a Linux application).

It’s those wizards that turn me off… Feels awkward and not very intuitive for me… But then I’m not the typical regular user…