Carbon Component Manager going away on OSx

I was wondering if some work was in progress to deal with the up and coming issue of the Carbon Component Manager going away on OSx. I get the following in the Console:

12/12/15 9:32:09.236 AM Audacity[17490]: 09:32:09.236 WARNING: 140: This application, or a library it uses, is using the deprecated Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units. Support for this will be removed in a future release. Also, this makes the host incompatible with version 3 audio units. Please transition to the API’s in AudioComponent.h.

Cliff

Hi Cliff

We know about the move away from Carbon, but it is not believed to be urgent.

As far as I know the Version 3 Audio Units API is still under development, even though support for it is included in El Capitan. The Version 3 API enables packaging AU effects (Including version 2 effects) as apps which can be sold in Apple Store. This is more important to iOS 9 (which never had proper AU support) than OS X.

Gale

Hi Gale,

We know about the move away from Carbon, but it is not believed to be urgent.

As far as I know the Version 3 Audio Units API is still under development, even though support for it is included in El Capitan. The Version 3 API enables packaging AU effects (Including version 2 effects) as apps which can be sold in Apple Store. This is more important to iOS 9 (which never had proper AU support) than OS X.

Understand. I have been hearing on one of my ham radio mailing lists that included in this move is the depreciating of Pulse Audio V19 and didn’t know if the “Core Audio” that Audacity references is related.

Cliff

I assume they mean PortAudio v19. That is the audio API that Audacity uses. Yes, PortAudio depends on the Carbon framework, but only so that it supports earlier than OS X 10.6: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.portaudio.devel/12511.

Audacity 2.1.2 when released will drop support for earlier than OS X 10.6, but we still have more to do before we no longer depend on Carbon.

Gale

I assume they mean PortAudio v19. That is the audio API that Audacity uses. Yes, PortAudio depends on the Carbon framework, but only so that it supports earlier than OS X 10.6: > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.portaudio.devel/12511> .

Audacity 2.1.2 when released will drop support for earlier than OS X 10.6, but we still have more to do before we no longer depend on Carbon.

Thanks for the explanation. I found the discussion on the link you send interesting and the thinking that Carbon would be gone by the next OSx version. Sure would be nice if Apple was upfront and said it was going away at some definite point in time so people had a definite time line in which to work.

Did the issue with getting of the help source from Github for compilation ever get corrected?

Cliff

Not as far as I know.

Gale

This particular API has been deprecated since Mountain Lion. That’s already a couple of years, I think?

The API that replaces it, is available from Snow Leopard on. It’s a pity for those still on Leopard, but that’s an 8 years old OS. I installed a System 9.2.2 last week, to run old audio software, but that was almost time travel. And not to the future :laughing: