Can't hear LP

I just bought a Music Hall turntable for the express purpose of recording sound samples off records. Everything is plugged in, I downloaded Audacity 2.1.0, and when I play records, I get nothing. No sound. How do I fix that? Oh, and I have Windows 7.

Music Hall turntable

What model? Does it have a USB port? Do you have a link to the specs?

If it’s a USB turntable make sure to select the USB device as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. (However you are connected, make sure to select the appropriate device/input.)

Everything is plugged in

Plugged-in how? USB? If it’s an analog connection do you have a phono preamp, or does the turntable have line-outputs? Are you using a desktop/tower computer with line-level analog inputs?

The turntable is Music Hall USB-1. It’s plugged into the USB port. As far as Audacity, I don’t even see where to select recording device as USB. Here’s a photo of my screen with preferences opened.
20190129_161926b.jpg

As far as Audacity, I don’t even see where to select recording device as USB. Here’s a photo of my screen with preferences opened.

It looks correct. I see “Line (USB AUDIO CODEC)” and I assume you only have one USB audio device plugged-in? No USB headset or anything like that right?

When you click Record, do you see the “meters” moving? Or, do you see a blue waveform “developing”?

If “nothing is working”, you can check the turntable and Windows setup with [u]Listen To This Device[/u]. You should be able to hear the record playing without Audacity (or any other application) running. If you can get the sound with Windows Audacity should be able to record it, and of course if you’re not getting sound into Windows Audacity isn’t going to get anything.

You can also try uninstalling the USB audio driver. It should re-install and hopefully “reset” automatically…

Right-click the Windows Start Icon.
Select Device Manager.
Near the bottom of the list you should see Universal Serial Bus controllers. Left-click that and you should see a list of USB devices.
Try to identify the USB audio device and click to open it’s property box.
Go to the Driver tab and then Uninstall Device.
Unplug and re-plug the USB cable and the driver should (hopefully) re-install.

If you can’t get the USB to work you can try the analog line-outputs to the line-inputs on a regular soundcard (on a desktop/tower computer). And/or you can test the line-outputs by connecting to your stereo or TV.