Cannot open .aup files/file cannot be found

Audacity 2.3.0 on Mac OS 10.13.2

I want to open, edit, and export my recordings, but when I go to File > Open Recent > random.aup file, an error pops up.

“This file cannot be found. It has been removed from the list of recent files.”

They all have names, so I know I saved them in Audacity. I have been moving some files around on my portable terrabyte hard drive, but they’re not showing up there either. The only thing I can think of, is that I was accidentally in a family member’s iCloud account when I recorded, and I logged out and logged into mine before this happened. I didn’t think it would affect anything, because the iCloud was only holding photos and various docs, and all of those seem to be still be in the Cloud.

I’m confused and frustrated, because there are A LOT of files that are randomly missing now! Help!

If you move a file, Audacity’s recent files function won’t find them.

Use the Finder’s search function to look for the files.

Also, be aware that the AUP file and its associated _data folder must be kept together.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html

– Bill

What was a typical AUP filename? Did you include dates? If you did you might want to search what would happen if you made a date into a computer file structure.

Today is 3/25/19. Sometimes if a computer sees that, it will look like a file 19 inside a folder 25 inside a larger folder 3.

It’s a good idea to avoid punctuation marks in filenames. Upper case, lower case, numbers, -dash- and underscore only. If you’re on Windows, you also have to avoid the system names such as COM, LPR, etc.

Use the magnifying glass upper right and search for small portions of the filenames, such as the name without the date. If you hold the Command key, the search system should give you the drive location of the file.

Koz