Cannot launch Audacity on HP Pavilion Windows 7 Premium

I can’t launch Audacity on my HP Pavilion laptop. It’s running Windows 7 Home Premium. The model number is dv7-6c80us.

I’ve reinstalled, rebooted, disabled virus protection, uninstalled, reinstalled.

I see that my sound mixer uses IDT High Definition Audio Codec. I am not familiar enough to know whether this is useful information. I didn’t see anything interesting in the registry.

Directory C:\Users<my_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity is empty.
Directory C:\Users<my_user_name>\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData is empty.

Any help would be appreciated. I was trying to run audacity-win-2.1.2.exe, file version 2.1.2.0

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Charlie P.

Reinstalling Audacity doesn’t reset Audacity. On Windows, you can elect to reset preferences and settings during the install process.

What does it do? Exactly how does it behave? Do you get any error messages and what are they?

Koz

Also you could perhaps ensure the folder where you install Audacity is completely empty before you reinstall (with Reset Preferences enabled).

Gale

Basically, when I try to launch Audacity, it does nothing.

I looked at the processes that were spawned when I try to launch Audacity, and all I noticed was that there was a short-lived dllhost (I think that was the name) and then nothing. I never saw a process named “Audacity”. The shortcut does link to the correct file in the Audacity program directory. Is there something more I can do to look?

I did try to reset preferences. That did not seem to help.

Thanks again for any advice…

Did you empty the installation folder before reinstalling Audacity?

Where exactly are you installing it?

Is “C:\Users<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity” writable by you? Right-click that folder > Properties and make sure the folder is not Read Only, and make sure your user group has permission to write to that folder. If this was the problem I would expect Audacity to throw an error message, but it is worth checking.

Does the previous Audacity 2.1.1 launch: http://www.oldfoss.com/Audacity.html ?

If the problem persists you could try dragging the installed “audacity.exe” into Dependency Walker. Save the .dwi file. If it is less than 2 MB in size you can attach it. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 Otherwise could you perhaps upload the file to Dropbox or your favourite server and post a link to it?

Gale

The dependency output files are (slightly) over 2 MB. In the meantime…
I ran both x86 and x64 versions of the dependency walker.

For x86, it shows missing GPSVC.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL, and the following messages:
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

For x64, it shows missing IESHIMS.DLL, and the following messages:
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

It is a 64-bit Windows.

I’ll put the files in Dropbox a little later, but this seems like a pretty clear indication of something wrong. I could go try to find a suitable IESHIMS.SLL and download it, but most of the sites advertising a solution look very fishy to me.

Thanks again for your consideration of my quandary…!

It’s normal for IESHIMS.DLL to be “missing”. It does not stop Audacity launching. And correct, don’t go downloading it. GPSVC.DLL probably does not matter, too (the DLL is to do with Group Policy).

Could we get answers to these questions?

I would try installing “vcredist_x64.exe” from the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013.

Gale

Hello folks,

I did manage to get a working version installed. I did it by installing during “Safe Boot”. It seems I have had some esoteric permission problem creating files in AppData\Roaming\Audacity when running in normal mode. I could not even copy a small file into that directory. I tried changing permissions many times and it never would make the change. I don’t know how that has happened, but I have not had similar problems installing and running other programs…

If anyone knows what weird problem would prevent me from creating files in a directory owned by me, I would like to find out what I was doing wrong. I am indeed the administrator also, so I am doubly perplexed about why I can’t copy files into a directory owned by me. I don’t remember encountering such a problem before.

Here are the answers to your questions:

Gale Andrews wrote:

Did you empty the installation folder before reinstalling Audacity?

Yes. I did sometimes, and I left it alone sometimes. I have by now reinstalled many times.

Where exactly are you installing it?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity

Is “C:\Users<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity” writable by you? Right-click that folder > Properties and make sure the folder is not Read Only, and make sure your user group has permission to write to that folder. If this was the problem I would expect Audacity to throw an error message,
but it is worth checking.

Does the previous Audacity 2.1.1 launch: Audacity download latest version ?

No, it seems to have exactly the same behavior.

So are you now having to run Audacity as admin in order to use it?

If permissions are not sticking the best solution is often to “Take Ownership”.

Gale

Thanks for the pointer to Take Ownership. I’ll try it out.

I can run Audacity from my normal login, but I am the only user on the laptop and I am in the Administrator group. So I was doubly surprised when I could not do simple operations like change the directory permissions or copy files into the directory.

All’s well that ends well, but I really do want to understand what in the heck was going wrong.

Regards,
Charlie P.