I don’t use Audacity every day, so I can’t identify exactly when my problem began, but I can no longer import audio to Audacity. Let me clarify: I’ve tried the click-and-drag method from Windows Explorer, and I’ve also tried the method using File > Import > Audio. I’ve tried to import MP3 and WAV files, but neither file type works. Also note: As I try to import, a track of the appropriate time-length is created, but there’s no audio on it. To be sure, I played-back these blank-looking tracks and no sound is produced.
Re-installing. First I tried to simply re-install over the existing installation, but the problem persisted. De-installing (without removing add-ons, etc) and re-installing didn’t fix it, either. Thinking it might be a system-wide problem, I tested another audio editor program I have (and never use) – Sony Acid Music Studio – and there doesn’t seem to be a problem there.
A Big Clue, Perhaps. I opened the last Audacity project I created (15 December 2013), which opened fine. I could also export MP3 and WAV files from that project. THIS is interesting, though: With this older project I opened, I COULD import the same MP3 file that wouldn’t import into a new project, and this imported MP3 track played just fine from within Audacity. Does that tidbit provide any clues?
My System. I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) on an otherwise stable, well-functioning system (there’s one exception; see note below), as far as I can tell. The Audacity installer used was the .exe version. All Microsoft/Windows updates are applied in a timely manner; no updates are pending.
Oh, and something made me “look around” and I happened to notice a log file (attached) with some important-looking errors.
Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, folks, and have a good day.
Note: The errors reported in the attached Log.txt file remind me of a Windows error I get every time I create a new folder or try to rename an old one. Creating or renaming a folder initially causes an error message (Item Not Found), but clicking Try Again always works; this has been happening for several years with no other apparent problem associated with it. I’ve been led to think this Item Not Found problem – my ONLY known problem – may be occurring on systems where the Windows Library feature has been disabled by applying a popular third-party set of Registry edits, which I DID apply several years ago when the system was initially set-up.
Log.txt (21.5 KB)