Buttons displayed incorrectly

Any idea what is going on here? The buttons sometimes show correctly when the mouse pointer is over them but they always revert to the way they look in the attached screenshot.

Audacity 2.1.2

This is on a Win XP machine.
Audacity screenshot.jpg

Yes it is listed in the 2.1.2 Release Notes - it could possibly be a conflict with your video drivers. You could try updating them or rolling them back - if the problem only happened after a driver update you can roll back the drivers in Windows Device Manager.

What video card do you have (make and model number)? Most users don’t have this issue. I don’t think this issue has ever been reported with motherboard graphics.

Do note however that this problem is unlikely to be fixed because a) we don’t understand the exact cause b) the upcoming 2.1.3 release will be the final one for XP.

Please note that Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft so even with the latest Service Pack it will be unpatched against any new security vulnerabilities that appear.

Consider if you can update to the much more secure Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10. If this is not practicable, you could try installing a Linux operating system instead. Most versions of Linux are free and all are very secure.

If you remain with Windows XP, ensure you have a good third-party anti-virus application, though be aware that this will not give you complete protection if previously unknown security threats emerge. For extra protection, install the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) from Microsoft on your XP system. This application is quite easy to use.

Gale

Thanks Gale. Everything you said is pretty much what I expected to hear. Doesn’t hurt to ask though. This is an older machine but still quite capable. I have been running Audacity for a number of years and it has always done this. It doesn’t make it unusable, just annoying. I have not seen anything like this with any other application. There are no driver upgrades for this video card. Unfortunately there is no “upgrade” path for XP. It requires re-staging the machine and re-loading everything from scratch. Otherwise I would have done it long ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you still have motherboard video? You might be able to set a special hardware profile to boot the machine into which disables the video card and which you could use just for Audacity.

Gale