Burbly/metallic sounding recordings

Hi, first of all my microphone was knocked out by the April 2018 Windows 10 upgrade which was only resolved by a trip to the Audacity forum, so I am hoping you can help me with this, too. I am using Audacity 2.1.3 but at the beginning of the year I noticed that all of my recordings, whether using the internal mic on my laptop or an external mic through an M-Audio interface were producing horrible burbly metallic artifacts, so I’ve put aside any more recording since until I can resolve the problem which I suspect is software or settings related, but I’m tempted to find out if there is an easier fix than reformatting my hard drive or throwing the laptop through the window! I’ve checked my Audacity settings but I’d also downloaded an evaluation copy of Reaper which I am hoping hasn’t overwritten any system files as it exhibits the same problem.

Does the recording sound “burbly/metallic” in Audacity itself, or only when you export the recording?

If it sounds “burbly/metallic” in Audacity itself, look in the Windows Sounds settings and ensure that ALL Windows Sound “Enhancements” are disabled.
See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#enhancements

Do you have a way to play the recordings on a machine that’s not your computer?

Koz

Thanks, I’d already tried this, the recordings prior to whatever caused the problem were fine but the affected files sounded the same on an external device even when uncompressed.

Thanks, deselecting the “Windows sound enhancement” has done the trick (I couldn’t find the tab earlier :blush: ) for future reference it sounds very like the noise reduction plugin in Audacity, so I’m guessing that’s what Windows was trying to achieve, except it had the opposite effect! :unamused: