We never built the swh plug-ins for OS X, rather we use Ardour’s build of them.
Ardour stopped distributing the swh plug-ins for OS X because they found them unstable in their application. They told me:
many of swh’s plugins are unsafe for use on OS X and have been for many years. swh did not use attribute((destructor|constructor)) and instead used the much older unix convention of declaring “init” and “fini” methods. These are not executed on OS X, and so various global variables are not initialized (and many not even be valid for use)."
However after extensive testing we found the plug-ins stable in Audacity so continue to distribute them.
Thank you for the valuable information. We just ran into something like this with Calf plugins here (looks identical really… could it be that simple?): (LMMS Issue #668)
I’ve spent the last week using trial and error to patch the SWH code to at least compile with Clang (just small syntax fixes to get Clang to proceed). It is quite ironic that these SWH plugins work so well for the Audacity application but not Ardour. I tried the ones from the downloads section and they did not work when dropping them into LMMSs LADSPA directory. This did (and still does) leave me a bit hopeful as to getting them to “plug-in” to our software.
I contacted Steve Harris (the author of SWH) and he has created a GitHub repo for them and says he will accept upstream fixes if anyone offers them but has no plans to continue maintaining them.
So… Since Ardour, Audacity and LMMS could benefit from keeping them around, I’d like to make this happen. Wishful thinking…
I’ve been in regular contact with Steve Harris (aka “swh”) so these changes aren’t unexpected.
Editing the original source code was much easier as it uses a “makestub.pl” script to generate the C source code from XML files, however I had to first issue “autoreconf -i” to get it to properly generate “./configure” script.
I’ve updated the README to illustrate this, assuming its accepted.