Bug TAB key no longer navigates labels

Bug TAB key no longer navigates labels in Version 3.1. Worked fine in 3.0.5…

Also, you changed the Font size in the label window to a Smaller Text (or your ignoring my 150% setting on desktop…)

NOTE: ALT-Left and ALT-Right still work as usual…

Navigating Labels
Open label for editing
When focus is on a label track as indicated by the yellow focus border:

TAB opens the next label for editing and places the editing cursor or selection to correspond with that label
Shift + TAB opens the previous label for editing and places the editing cursor or selection to correspond with that label.
The label background becomes white, indicating you can type to edit the label’s text. For a point label, the editing cursor is placed at the label moved to. For a region label, a selection is placed corresponding to the label moved to. The view position moves if necessary to show you the label moved to.

Audacity cycles through the labels automatically, so when at the last label, moving to next label jumps to the first label. When at the first label, moving to previous label jumps to the last label.

These commands exist only as shortcuts - they have no menu items or buttons.

It still does navigate through the labels, but it no longer automatically goes into an editing state for them. This is because there were some issues related to it and clips. For this release, the shortcut to rename the label is a hardcoded Ctrl+F2, we hope to make it more sensible in the future. We also hope to make it more obvious to see which label is selected (it currently only uses a teeny tiny black line through the middle)

It may still navigate through the labels but, not only does it not go into edit mode, it doesn’t bring the track to that location. Nor does it highlight the next label or section. You still have to scroll to whatever timestamp is indicated.

Hi,

If you click on the line that stretches between the endpoints of the labels it selects the audio related to the label. Then use the Ctrl-[ or Ctrl-] and it jumps to the beginning or end of the selection/label.

Mike

This look like a bug to me.
It seems to do “the right thing” if there are only point labels, but not if there are any region labels.

This look like a bug to me.
It seems to do “the right thing” if there are only point labels, but not if there are any region labels.

This doesn’t work for me whatever the label type. I’ve logged the bug here:

When I say “the right thing”, I mean that the edit cursor moves to the next point label position. However there’s no way that I can open the label for editing without resorting to mouse click in the label (Tested on Xubuntu).

The manual (Label Tracks - Audacity Manual) still says:

Open label for editing

When focus is on a label track as indicated by the yellow focus border:

TAB opens the next label for editing and places the editing cursor or selection to correspond with that label
Shift + TAB opens the previous label for editing and places the editing cursor or selection to correspond with that label.

I know I am late to this game, but I just got stung by this same bug in 3.1.2. I see that nothing else seems to have been posted about this since early November, so I thought I would just bump this thread with my comment.

Overall, I find 3.1.2 64bit a huge improvement in may ways over the last release, and it even fixed a nasty little bug I had in playback on one laptop. But I use the point labels and tab key a lot in editing, so this bug of NOT going into edit mode on the label text is terribly irritating to me. Not only does it make doing that text editing much more cumbersome, but it has made even seeing which label is currently selected much more difficult.

Even if I use Alt±> to move through the labels (and that thankfully still moves the focus of the main track), it is still difficult to see where the cursor is sitting. Before, each tab press would highlight the text box on the next label and you could instantly see what was being selected. Now, the only indication is a little black line in the time bar, so I am constantly wasting time looking back and forth trying to see just where I am in the track. BOO HISS

I sure hope there is a fix coming; because, this has made the product MUCH less user friendly for editing tracks.

This thread is being locked to avoid confustion as it is a duplicate of: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/windows-10-audacity-3-1-0-using-tab-with-point-labels/63169/1