Best settings for separating talking from background music

I have a .wav file that I pulled from a movie trailer, and I am trying to remove the spoken words from the background music/noise. I am using Audacity 1.3.13-beta on Windows 7. This is the file - http://www.mediafire.com/?syfcjgpjre8l712

Audacity is brand new for me, so I’m having to Google every little thing to see what it means/does, and it’s exhausting. I’m hoping someone on this forum knows enough about the program already to help me out with this.

I tried using the Vocal Remover Effect that comes with Audacity, and I tried using a couple of plug ins (VoiceTrap and Kn0ck0ut). For the most part, Vocal Remover and VoiceTrap work well without changing any settings. They remove the vocals from the file, but I get a weird wobbly effect on some parts. I couldn’t figure out how to use Kn0ck0ut.

Does anyone know what settings I can use (and which effect works best) to remove the vocals from this file and leave the background sounding as good as it’s possible to do with this kind of effect?

What you have may be as good as possible. Typically we tell people you can’t separate performances like that without some kind of sound damage if it’s possible at all.

Vocal Removal works by a very simple process of deleting anything in the exact dead left-to-right center of a high quality stereo show (frequently also deleting bass and drums). It leaves mono music in its wake. That’s pretty much the complete technical description of the tool and it usually fails for a rainbow of reasons. For other, third party software, see their instructions.

Other tools may have hidden problems, like they work best on very high quality, uncompressed, non MP3, non-downloaded music. That’s the case with Vocal Removal.
Koz

Okay, thank you. Vocal Remover has an option for removing specified frequencies, I thought maybe that was a way to ‘fine tune’ the removal. The results really weren’t bad just running it through the effect, just that odd wobbly sound where the voice was heavy. I can live with it, if that’s as good as it gets. :slight_smile:

You’re correct, that is exactly what it is for and in a few cases it can help to reduce the “distortion”. It does not help to remove more of the sound that you want rid of but it can help in retaining the sounds that you want to keep. For example if you are trying to remove a high pitched voice from music that has a low bass sound playing, you can set the filter frequencies to (for example) 200 10000 with “Remove Frequency Band” selected as the removal choice, and any centre panned sounds below 200 Hz will not be removed.