bad sound

I dl a song after paying for it from Wal-Mart. Going to use it in a family slide show. Used Audacity to join it with a few other songs from my cd collection. I am using AudioGrabber to rip them. Well, all except the Wal-MArt dl. Everything works great in my slide making program, PTE. When I try to burn to a dvd the dl song sounds garbled. The songs I riped play fine. Is there something that Wal-Mart does that would effect the playing on a dvd? I’m new to all this! Thanks for any help!

Bob W.

Forgot to mention I did dl an mp3 and not a wma.

Make sure that all the tracks are wav format - Audio CD’s need wav files, not mp3’s.
You can export from Audacity as wav.

(Also make sure that you select “Audio CD” in your CD burning software).

Thanks for the reply. THis is for a slide show and the format it calls for is mp3. Wav’s are too big I believe.

Sorry, my mistake, I mis-read it and thought you were making a CD :blush:

Yes, wav files take up more room than mp3’s, usually about 8 times more, depending on how much compression you use.
Your slide show program (PTE? what’s that?) may only accept certain types of mp3.

MP3s can be variable bit rate, or constant bit rate, they can have different bit depth, and then there’s mp3 pro. Since the rest of your tracks work, Export the Walmart download as 16 bit 44100 Hz wav after you have edited it, then convert it to mp3 in the same way as you converted the other files (using AudioGrabber?). If you are using LAME with AudioGrabber, you can use LAME directly from Audacity, just make sure that you use exactly the same settings as you used for the other tracks (the ones that work).

Good luck.

I checked in Audacity and the dl from Wal-Mart says 44100HZ and the ripped from cd’s say 22050HZ. Keep in mind I am new at this. If the difference is the problem how would I go about changing them to make them the same?

Thanks!!

I changed the Wal-Mart dl from 44100hz to 22050hz in Audacity. When I play in Audacity the dl places extremely slow. That can’t be correct is it?

That seems strange. CD’s ALWAYS use 44100 Hz.

I presume that you still have the original files somewhere safe (the downloaded file and the CD rips) - just in case anything goes wrong, keep a backup of the originals and work with a copy.

Ah, I think you changed it in the tracks properties (“Set Rate”) - if you change the sample rate there, it simply changes the speed that it plays back at. So for a sound that is recorded at 44.1 kHz (44100 Hz), if you change the rate to 22.05 kHz, then the file will play back at half speed (and an octave lower).

The correct way to set the sample rate is to set the sample rate for the project. You do that in “Edit → Preferences → Quality”. Now if you set the defaults here to 441000 Hz and 16 bit, then any audio that you import will be 44100 Hz 16 bit, and will still be at the correct speed and pitch.

Try and make a test slide show, with just a couple of slides and some short sound clips. Use Audacity with the project defaults set to 44.1 kHz 16 bit, and export your clips as mp3 128 kbitps “constant bit rate”. In Audacity 1.2 you set that in Preferences, in 1.3 you set it in the options when you Export. Doing a test like this will be a lot quicker while you work out how to do it, then when you’ve got it right, do the same for your actual slide show.

Good luck, let me know how you get on - if you need any more help, try to be specific with your questions, (and say which version of Audacity you are using).

Now if you set the defaults here to 441000 Hz and 16 bit, then any audio that you import will be 44100 Hz 16 bit, and will still be at the correct speed and pitch.

Ok I did that. Then ran a short test on the Wal-mart dl. It played correctly. So it looks like the problem is with the cd burns. I used AudioGrabber. Brought them into Audacity but they still came in at 22050HZ. Went into AudioGrabber and tried to change to 441000 but the highest rate is 22050HZ. Now what?

Bob W.

Ok, think the problem is still in the dl. I ran the cd’s through Windows Media and they came into Audacity at 44100 just fine. The dl from Wal-mart still come in Audacity at 44100 just fine. When I combine them in Audacity and burn to dvd the cd’s are fine but the dl is garbled still. When I run the dl and the cd’s as seperate files in the slide show the dl is still garbled. When I just run the dl and burn to a dvd it runs perfect. I would like to try and run the dl through Windows Media and try that but I don’t know how to pull it into Windows Media. It was a dl and not a rip from a cd. So how do I get it out of MY Music and into Windows Media to rip it?

Bob W.

Use “Exact Audio Copy” (EAC) to rip your CD’s - as long as they are not badly scratched it’s the best quality ripper available and it’s free http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Create a new folder and rip a couple of tracks (as wav files) into it. EAC rips as 44.1kHz 16 bit (the native format for CDs).
Now open the WalMart track in Audacity (with the default quality set to 44.1kHz 16 bit)
Make sure that it shows up as a stereo track.
EXPORT the track from Audacity as a wav file into the new folder with the tracks that you have just ripped.

Now you have a folder with several tracks and they all have exactly the same format. You should be able to play all of them with Windows Media Player.

Now use these tracks to make your slide show (encoding them as MP3s if you need to).

If you follow this exactly, there are only two possible outcomes - either they will all be garbled, or they will all work. Let’s hope it’s the latter. :slight_smile:

Create a new folder and rip a couple of tracks (as wav files) into it. EAC rips as 44.1kHz 16 bit (the native format for CDs).
Now open the WalMart track in Audacity (with the default quality set to 44.1kHz 16 bit)

OK, holdays are over and I’m back. Tried the above. Burned to dvd and same problem. DL still garbled but other tracks are fine. Looks like I’ll just drop the dl track. Wasting way too much time!!

Bob W.

Unless you can upload the track somewhere and post a link so we can look at it I guess we’ll never know.