Avoiding interference from Skype

I use Audacity v2.2.2 on a pc with Windows 10 and the current version of Skype.

Several posters have mentioned that Skype can subtly interfere with Audacity recording so have encouraged disabling whatever Skype features could do this. However, I’m unsure how to do so.

Can you tell me specifically what settings I should enable or disable within or outside of Skype to prevent it from interfering with Audacity? Thanks.

I don’t use Skype on Windows, but I found this article: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/08/why-is-quitting-skype-so-difficult-on-windows-10/

Skype can subtly interfere with Audacity recording

Nothing subtle about it. Skype became the most popular communications app on the planet by taking over your sound system and you have very little to say about it. The up side of that is it always works no matter how messed up your sound system or computer is. But sometimes Skype doesn’t return your system back the way it found it when it’s done.

Sorry you need to record your audiobook. Your system is still in echo management mode from your last conversation.
That’s not to say you can’t record your book or production, just doing it on the computer may not be the best idea. There was a recent post from someone using a Zoom H2n stand-alone recorder for their book. I have a Zoom H4.

HudsonValleyH4-2.jpg

In one swoop, this solves tons of recording issues. Trying to get rid of computer fan noise? These recorders are dead silent. Coat closet the only quiet room in your house? These recorders are small and don’t get hot.

Etc.

Any minute now I’m going to get that smartphone thing to work…

Koz