Audio Wavelength Issue

Hello, I’ve been using Audacity for a month without any issue until yesterday recording audio tracks. For some reason, when I record now, everything looks flat although it is recording me and I can play it back. The only way I can get the audio wavelengths to look normal is with applying the normalize effect. I need the wavelengths to look as they always have as it helps me to edit my audio. Any idea how to fix this permanently? I have wavelength selected and the blue color/instrument 1. Nothing changed there. It’s in the linear default setting too. Everything I’ve looked up shows in my settings nothing has changed. I don’t know what changed and how to fix it. Thank you in advance!

I assume you mean the amplitude (loudness or wave height).

Let’s start with what you’re recording from. The microphone built-into your laptop? Streaming audio? Something else?

If you run the Amplify effect, what does it default to? i.e. If it defaults to +20dB your current peaks are -20dB.

Hi thank you for trying to help me! I’m new to all this. Yes, wave height is probably the proper term. It’s all compressed into a tiny line unless I use normalize, then it looks like it previously had in prior recordings. I opened up old files and the audio looks as it did then. If I add a new audio to those clips, it looks flat in the new audio.

I use the built-in microphone in my laptop. I checked all its settings, and everything is fine with it. When I apply amplify to it the default number that pops up is Amplification (dB) 31.993. I’m not trying to do anything fancy. I just make meditations to upload to YouTube. I have no idea what changed.

When I apply amplify to it the default number that pops up is Amplification (dB) 31.993.

That’s VERY LOW! Something is wrong but if the sound quality is OK after amplifying you can live with it…

Did you actually select the microphone as your [u]Recording Device[/u]?

Maybe you need to be closer to the microphone and/or speak louder. but I suspect it’s not so simple.

Windows has a [u]Microphone Boost[/u] feature. Technically, it’s no different than amplifying with Audacity it happens during recording.

And, make sure [u]Windows “Enhancements”[/u] are turned off. They will mess with the sound level and sometimes turn it down.

I appreciate you trying to help. Yes, my microphone is set as the recording device. I do not have the boost on. I also don’t have Windows Enhancement on. I was able to record and edit a meditation audio tonight using the normalize effect after I recorded it so I could see the wavelength semi close to how it normally looks. It took longer than it would’ve before this issue, but I did it and it’s all uploaded on my YouTube. I tried restoring everything back to default settings and nothing changed. I’m at a loss of what to try next.