Audio quality problems after moving project files from one hard drive to another

Hello,

I made several recordings on an old computer using Audacity and saved each of them as an Audacity project. The audio quality at the time was fine. Long story short, the screen of that computer broke and I moved the project files from its hard drive to another computer. When I listen to the audio from the same project files on this second computer, there’s all kinds of clipping/static that wasn’t present before. I’m not sure why this is happening. The new computer’s drivers are all up to date, it’s running the same operating system as the old one, nothing (that I know of) was done to the files apart from my moving them, and the files otherwise appear to be the same as they were before.

Is there any way to fix this problem, or can anyone provide insight into what may be causing it? The recordings are long and the clipping noises occur too often for fixing them manually to be an option.

The new computer is running Audacity 2.3.1 on Windows 10.

Please let me know if any additional information is needed. Thank you in advance!

the files otherwise appear to be the same as they were before

That is, the blue waves appear rational? None of them go all the way up or down?

I can bring this home to one of two conditions. The original sound monitor system was broken and you just couldn’t hear damage or what was happening, or the current monitor system is responding incorrectly to a normal show.

I don’t think the Project is different between the two computers.

clipping/static

Does the damage happen in exactly the same place and sound the same every time?

Select the whole show by clicking just right of the up arrow. Effect > Amplify do not apply the tool. Read the top number: Amplification. Cancel the tool.

Koz