audio port error - audio files won't play although I can open them [SOLVED]

I have 3.0.4 and it has a problem opening audio ports. I have Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 OS build 22000.168. Audacity was working until a few days ago when it stopped due to port error. It says “error opening sound device” and reports my Windows version as: 10.0.22000. When I go to my devices in the interface under Host there are no options to choose in the drop down. It says “Using: PortAudio V19.6.0-devel, revision unknown” and there are no devices to select under playback. The problem started under an earlier version of Audacity and uninstalling and re-installing didn’t help. Neither did downloading the latest version. Has anyone else had this problem?

It could be a windows problem though because my microphone stopped working unless I plugin a usb headset.
I have Audacity version 3.0.4 and it has a problem opening audio ports. I have Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 OS build 22000.168. Audacity was working until a few days ago when it stopped due to port error. It says “error opening sound device” and reports my Windows version as: 10.0.22000. When I go to my devices in the interface under Host there are no options to choose in the drop down. It says “Using: PortAudio V19.6.0-devel, revision unknown” and there are no devices to select under playback. The problem started under an earlier version of Audacity and uninstalling and re-installing didn’t help. Neither did downloading the latest version. Has anyone else had this problem?

I ran the Windows troubleshooter which re-installed my audio drivers & now Audacity works again. Maybe I broke the drivers pulling out the usb for my headset too fast ir something. Well you can remove this post since it was just a corrupted driver problem & not an Audacity issue. Audacity works fine with Windows 11, that’s what my computer has.
I have 3.0.4 and it has a problem opening audio ports. I have Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 OS build 22000.168. Audacity was working until a few days ago when it stopped due to port error. It says “error opening sound device” and reports my Windows version as: 10.0.22000. When I go to my devices in the interface under Host there are no options to choose in the drop down. It says “Using: PortAudio V19.6.0-devel, revision unknown” and there are no devices to select under playback. The problem started under an earlier version of Audacity and uninstalling and re-installing didn’t help. Neither did downloading the latest version. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for posting the solution. I’ll mark this topic as “solved” as it could help other users that have the same problem.