Audio file suddenly sounds like I got a squeaky toy...

I’m still suspecting the gear used…

Don’t take this as advice to run out and buy something else.

A few years ago, I was called in by a mastering engineer. He had a faint whistle in his studio chain. I’m used to not hearing it on the first session. So I start checking the gear and can’t find anything wrong with it. Meanwhile he is trying to make me hear the whistle by applying gain and eq. And suddenly, I hear it. We start eliminating every device in the chain, by bypassing each and every one of them. Nothing…

After hours, finding no evidence at all of gear failure, I leave.

About a month later, he calls me in again. The poor fella looks like he’s dying. I ask him about his health, noticing he seems oddly happy. He assures me he is fine and he found the issue. It’s not the gear an sich, it’s the order of the gear. And could I rearrange the rack, please?

He’d spent every free moment rearranging all the devices and listening if and when the whistle would vanish. And he found the magic order, after a lot of sleepless nights. He was feeling mighty proud of himself and wasn’t up to unscrewing about a dozen boxes from the rack. He also made a big spaghetti of my neat cabling that was there before.

I was glad to help him with that. Made me feel a little less useless…

Don’t concentrate too hard on this problem. If it’s you, it’ll probably go away and you might never know what caused it. And even if it’s the gear, it might also vanish one day, the same way it came.

[Big spaghetti…]
And that’s what did it. Not the equipment order.

It’s possible to be too neat. If you offend the cable gods, you can get cables talking quietly to each other. Do Not clean up the cables.

Koz

has anyone found an actionable solution for this problem?

i’m helping my sister produce audio books and we’re having this same issue :confused:

Your post is problematic. You are asking users to review posts that were made by other people six years ago - and that in fact may have no actual bearing on your current problem. Many people who might otherwise be inclined to help will be turned off immediately.

You might get better traction by starting a new post and posting a sample of your audio and stating what you have done to try to fix the issue.

thanks~ i will try that

I ran through first edits on this chapter, and then put it away for an hour of games to blow off some steam.

Remember that way up the thread? Are you playing digital games on the same machine that’s recording your voice?

I’m more than ever of the opinion that if you have enough trouble recording your voice on the computer (about a week, say), stop recording on the computer. The Zoom people (the manufacturers, not the internet service) make some delightful stand-alone, dedicated sound recorders.

That’s a Zoom H6 with, I believe, four microphones plugged into it.

Koz

I had a good, quiet voice test on my Zoom H1n around here somewhere. The H1n doesn’t accept external microphones, but the built-ins (2) are not dreadful.

Found it. I really gotta record another one of these. This is what happens when your mouth makes way too much noise to be publishable.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.49.49 PM.png
I recorded it, pushed the WAV files over to Audacity, Converted to Mono, Mastered it, and Measured it. Yes, that will pass ACX technical specifications. The Room Tone is quiet rain-in-the-trees (ffff) sound and easy to ignore. No oddball computer noises or unwanted effects and damage.

While y’all are trying to solve the computer problems, for how long now? I’ll be on my third book and making arrangements to move to my beach house on the El Segundo coast.

CaliforniaCoastalCottage-650W.jpg
Koz