Audio file missing from .aup after inserting .mp3 audio clip

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
Audacity 2.1.1

I did the same thing to two files, but two different things are happening now.

File1 [name:Ep 1 Introduction Episode.aup]: I opened the recording, then imported a .mp3 file (the intro to the podcast) to cut into the recording, it played fine so I hit “save” then closed the project. Now, when I try to open the file, a window pops up that says “Project check of “Ep 1 Introduction Episode_data” folder detected 104 missing audio data(.au) blockfile(s), probably due to a bug, system crash, or accidental deletion. There is no way for Audacity to recover these missing files automatically.” Then I select the option to “Treat missing audio as silence (this session only)” the entire file is empty.

File2: [name: Ep 2. Parents We Thought We’d Be EXP.aup]: Same thing as before. I opened the recording, then imported a .mp3 file (the intro to the podcast) to cut into the recording, it played fine so I hit “save” then closed the project. However, now when I try to open the file, a window pops up that says "Error Opening Project: Couldn’t find the project data folder: ‘Ep 2. Parents We Thought We’d Be EXP_data’ ". then another window pops up and says "Error Opening Project: Could not load file: ‘/Users/Kristen/desktop/…/Ep 2. Parents We Thought We’d Be EXP.aup’ ".

Is there any way that you know of to get these files to open again?

First, please upgrade to Audacity 2.2.2. It has significant improvements, including squashing a bug in the Save As procecdure.

For File 1, did you do “Save As” over the original file name, as opposed to “Save”? That is a known bug in 2.1.1.

For File 2, it seems you’ve moved or renamed the “_data” folder. Or perhaps you moved or renamed the “.aup” file? Were you opening the file from the “Open recent” menu item? Doing that after moving the files could also cause the error messages you report.

– Bill