Audio effects selection v1.3.4

I have raw audio files from our church’s Sunday services that require major post processing to render them acceptable.

I have noticed in v1.3.4 that there are effects entitled ‘compressor’ as well as ‘leveller’ which seem to do basically the same thing. Are these effects mutually exclusive or can they both be used on the same file in order to clean up the output? If they can both be used effectively, in which order should they be applied? If one or both of these effects are used, Is ‘normalization’ also required?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

There’s no such thing as mutually exclusive audio effects. They can both be used.

The real question is whether or not there’s a point to running both. The answer is no.

The Leveller effect is a compressor. It’s just a very, very heavy handed compressor. So if you’re going to use the Leveller, there’s no point in using the regular Compressor (either before or afterward). You can do that if you want, but you won’t gain anything (and will arguably lower the sound quality, however inaudibly).

Also, once you’ve used the Leveller, Normalization isn’t really necessary, unless you need the files normalized to a different peak volume (you probably don’t).