When using Audacity 2.0.5 on a PC running WIN7, I save the project as an AUP file. If I then go to another PC and open up Audacity 2.0.5, again running WIN7, and try to edit the saved audio time line, i.e delete 2 seconds from the audio, Audacity deletes much more than 2 seconds, not sure how much, seems to vary each time, but it’s a lot more… I have tried everything, making sure both Audacity’s are running the same settings etc but no joy…? Any ideas please…?
I installed the .exe file on both PC’s.
Audacity projects are made up of an AUP file and the associated audio data. The audio data is NOT contained in the AUP file.
If you are moving a project from one machine to another it is essential that you move the AUP and all of the associated audio data together.
See here for how to safely move a project: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/audacity_projects.html
Hi Steve, thanks for the reply… I should have mentioned that I do save both the AUP file and the associated audio data folder and open the exact same on the other PC… So it’s not that.
Did you get an error about “Missing Aliased Files” when you opened the project on the troublesome machine? If a project contains WAV or AIFF files that you imported, you must go to File > Check Dependencies… and copy the files in if necessary before you close the project and copy it to the other machine.
If that is not the problem then Audacity cannot read the data correctly. Did you actually copy the AUP file and _data folder to the other machine, or are you trying to read the same file and folder over a network?
If none of that helps, please post the contents of Help > Show Log… after the problem happens. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 .
Hi, After looking at the logs, it seems it was a user rights problem:
21:26:56: Loading avutil from ‘avutil-50.dll’.
21:26:56: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘avutil-50.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
21:26:56: Loading avcodec from ‘avcodec-52.dll’.
21:26:56: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘avcodec-52.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
21:26:56: Loading avformat from ‘avformat-52.dll’.
21:26:56: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘avformat-52.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
21:26:56: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
21:26:56: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.
21:27:15: Error: can’t open file ‘X:JohnVoicetest_datae00d00e0000015.au’ (error 5: access is denied.)
21:27:15: Error: can’t open file ‘X:JohnVoicetest_datae00d00e0000fdc.au’ (error 5: access is denied.)
So I reset the user rights and all seems to be ok now, so thanks for the advice…